Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55906  
Subject: Re: Omelette Pans Date: 6/27/2005 4:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
said that the eggs should be cracked into a mixing bowl and not scrambled, until after pouring into the heated pan then immediately scrambling (mixing) the eggs. The person that said that said it allowed the omelette to be much lighter and fluffier because supposedly there's something about heating and incorporating the air into the proteins while hot (I'm not sure).

This is theoretically true but I doubt that it will work in practice.

Egg whites will not stiffen and hold very much air if they are mixed with the yolks (or any fat whatsoever). However, separating the eggs (as one might do for a cake) and beating the whites separately would result in a strange omelette.

Some old recipes say to beat the eggs for a very long time, which does incorporate more air, but not as much as the whites could hold alone.

Whole beaten eggs will, however, hold air and stiffen if the eggs are slightly cooked. I have a cake recipe that requires heating the stirred eggs in a double boiler and then beating them. I think that this effect is where the idea of stirring the eggs in the pan comes from.

The reasons I don't think it works in practice are (1) the eggs will cook faster than you can stir, and (2) the stirring will incorporate the butter into the eggs. In addition to the possible effect of keeping the whites from inflating, it tends to make the eggs stick since they are no longer resting on a film of butter.

I have some personal experience with this. While I have never tried to make an omelette that way, when I am alone at home I sometimes make semi-scrambled eggs by breaking the eggs directly into the pan and then stirring them.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement