Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1

<<Unless you have way more money than you can possible spend in retirement, you are probably better off keeping some diversification in your investments. 100% CD's is actually riskier (when you consider the risk of outliving your funds) than a mix of stocks, bonds, Cd's, REIT's, Real Estate, etc.>>

I agree. I was talking about putting 5 years living expenses in CDs and keeping the rest in the market.

<<You will have earned income even after you retire. Dividends and capital gains from your assets outside your tax protected stuff. Thus you will still be able to and probably should continue to contribute to your Roth IRA.>>

Are you saying that I can use interest and capital gains to count as earned income and therefore fund a Roth contribution ?

"To make a Roth IRA contribution, you must have earned income. Earned income is generally income you receive from working -- as compensation for your labor in one form or another. It's reported to you on a W-2 form, or you report it on Schedule C (Business Income) or Schedule F (Farm Income) with your normal tax return. Earned income generally does not include Social Security benefits, pensions, interest, dividends, rental income, or capital gains."

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.