UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741232  
Subject: Saint Valentine Date: 2/10/2013 10:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/578055_...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671022 of 741232
Subject: Re: Saint Valentine Date: 2/10/2013 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Saint Valentine was eventually imprisoned, beaten, stoned and beheaded. Hallmark doesn't tell you that.

It appears the Catholic Church doesn't tell us that, either. According to cited sources in Wiki:

Nothing is reliably known of St. Valentine except his name and the fact that he died on the the 14th of February on the Via Flaminia in the north of Rome. It is uncertain whether St. Valentine is to be identified as one saint or two saints of the same name. Several differing martyrologies have been added to later hagiographies that are unreliable. For these reasons this liturgical commemoration was not kept in the Catholic calendar of saints for universal liturgical veneration as revised in 1969. But the "Martyr Valentinus who died on the 14th of February on the Via Flaminia close to the Milvian bridge in Rome" still remains in the list of officially recognized saints for local veneration. Saint Valentine's Church in Rome, built in 1960 for the needs of the Olympic Village, continues as a modern, well-visited parish church.

Though the extant accounts of the martyrdoms of the first two listed saints are of a late date and contain legendary elements, a common nucleus of fact may underlie the two accounts and may refer to one single person. According to the official biography of the Diocese of Terni, Bishop Valentine was born and lived in Interamna and was imprisoned and tortured in Rome on February 14 in 273, while on a temporary stay there. His body was hurriedly buried at a nearby cemetery and a few nights later his disciples came and carried him home.

The feast of St. Valentine of February 14 was first established in 496 by Pope Gelasius I, who included Valentine among all those "... whose names are justly reverenced among men, but whose acts are known only to God." As Gelasius implies, nothing was yet known about his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671032 of 741232
Subject: Re: Saint Valentine Date: 2/10/2013 11:26 AM
I reposted this from a Facebook photo from a lady friend who is very knowledgable, she's also worked as an editor for various publications. I typically take what she says as true because I know she is almost without exception someone who doesn't post anything without first having done the research. I asked her for her source. After I get a reply, I'll post it here. It's possible she let one slip by. We shall see.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671044 of 741232
Subject: Re: Saint Valentine Date: 2/10/2013 1:51 PM
She wrote me back:

"...there were at least three different Valentines, all of them early martyrs. So all the tortures probably didn't happen to the same saint. The point is, they died for their Faith, the greatest form of love. The hyperbole is meant to be humorous. ;-)"

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671053 of 741232
Subject: Re: Saint Valentine Date: 2/10/2013 5:01 PM
There were three men (priests?) named Valentine, all tortured for their faith and all made saints.

Fascinating!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement