No. of Recommendations: 1
salaryguru writes,

<<Gov. McCrory, a former mayor of Charlotte, said he is concerned that many college graduates can't get decent jobs. >>

I think he might be confusing a number of different issues.

Although the quality and focus of an education can certainly have impact on one's ability to get a job, blaming Universities for the dearth of jobs in the US today overlooks some very significant problems that have nothing to do with our education system.

</snip>

I don't think the Mayor is "blaming Universities for the dearth of jobs". He's complaining that many degree programs don't prepare people for the world of work, and even many of those degrees that do prepare you for employment cost so much compared to the typical salary paid that it's not a rational economic choice. Incidentally, high-costs and poor employment prospects are an even bigger problem at the GOP-approved, for-profit schools championed by many Tea-Baggers.

I'd like to see a "Mileage Sticker" slapped on every college catalog comparing the total cost of the schooling (including debt service) with the audited median starting salary and (10th year career wage) for graduates. If people understood that attending this college and choosing this course of study would mean you'll likely still be paying off your student loans when you're 60, some folks might make different choices.

While my alma mater WPI provided me with an excellent engineering education, there's no way I'd advise a young person to attend that school today unless he was getting a scholarship equal to 75% of the $55,000/year cost.

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement