Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here is my situation. I own a single member LLC that files as a disregarded entity. Under this company, I have created a successful mobile app that makes very good money.

Recently, another company offered to buy me out and I agreed and has bought the app and paid a lump sum for it.

Since this app was created by me over the last 2 years, I've owned it for over a year.

My question is, can I claim the lump sum for selling it to another company as a long term capital gain, and if so, how do I write this up on my taxes?

Obviously I'd like to avoid claiming this as ordinary income and pay more than 10% more taxes on it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately, computer software you write is not a capital asset. So capital gain is out.

Even more unfortunately, income from the sale of computer software you write is self-employment income. The right place to report this is on Schedule C. Hopefully, the figure is large enough that you max out the SE tax and limit that bite.

Print the post Back To Top