Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have owned a rental home and have been renting to the current tenants for a number of years. They have wanted to purchase the home and we have had a 'rent to own' option agreement. I have always reported the income as rental income for tax purposes. Now that they have finished paying for the house and the title has been transferred I am wondering how I will handle the taxes for this year. This will be the first year that they have not made any payments and I wonder if there is a form that I need to file that shows the change of ownership and how/if I need to explain to the IRS this situation since I will no longer show the house on my taxes.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.