Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MountainFoolKen One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Saleof Home Date: 2/16/2001 5:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can someone tell me which form to use to report the sale of a home (homestead) lived in more than two years ? Thanks

Ken
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46607 of 121144
Subject: Re: Saleof Home Date: 2/16/2001 5:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can someone tell me which form to use to report the sale of a home (homestead) lived in more than two years

If there's no taxable gain, you don't report it anywhere. Otherwise, Schedule D, line 8.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: MountainFoolKen One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46611 of 121144
Subject: Re: Saleof Home Date: 2/16/2001 6:03 PM
Hi Phil :

Thanks for the reply.

The title company reports the sale amount to the IRS. In my situation there is a gain, but it is below the $500,000 exemption. So, if I understand correctly it reported on Sch D, line 8 and not on some special form. Thanks.

Ken

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46614 of 121144
Subject: Re: Saleof Home Date: 2/16/2001 6:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
The title company reports the sale amount to the IRS. In my situation there is a gain, but it is below the $500,000 exemption. So, if I understand correctly it reported on Sch D, line 8 and not on some special form.

Well, actually there's no reporting requirement for you at all, since the entire gain is excludable. See the instructions for Form 1099-S on page 18 of the 1040 instructions.

Phil Marti

Author: MountainFoolKen One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46639 of 121144
Subject: Re: Saleof Home Date: 2/17/2001 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info Phil.

Ken

Author: RIBBIT1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46740 of 121144
Subject: Re: Saleof Home Date: 2/19/2001 11:36 AM
I would report the sale of the home on schedule D. Put the gross proceeds of whatever is reported off the 1099S, and pick up as cost original purchase price, improvements, and selling expense. Then, any gain you have can be offset with a Section 121 exclusion, which you would put on the line below as a cost equal to the gain with no proceeds. That way, you've accounted for the 1099S proceeds, and are declaring a section 121 exclusion. I'm assuming that you didn't rent out your house, which would make it a sale of business property, and would require a different form (and probably more taxes).

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47177 of 121144
Subject: Re: Saleof Home Date: 2/26/2001 7:22 AM
Recommendations: 2
I would report the sale of the home on schedule D. Put the gross proceeds of whatever is reported off the 1099S, and pick up as cost original purchase price, improvements, and selling expense. Then, any gain you have can be offset with a Section 121 exclusion, which you would put on the line below as a cost equal to the gain with no proceeds. That way, you've accounted for the 1099S proceeds, and are declaring a section 121 exclusion.

I started to suggest this as a way of avoiding possible computer matching problems down the road, but changed my mind after reading the instruction I referenced earlier. I'm assuming that since they gave such a specific non-reporting instruction, the computers have been told how to deal with the absence of the 1099-S proceeds during the matching. Of course, I could be wrong.

Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement