Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We didn't feel up to cooking Friday night so DH picked up salmon and spinach lasagna on his way home. Sounds sort of gross, but it was delicious--real comfort food, too. Like a healthier mac & cheese. It contained ricotta (or mascarpone?) and cheese sauce.

Apparently this is a well known dish, but I never noticed it before. Anyone have a recipe they like?
Print the post Back To Top
Apparently this is a well known dish,

Oddly enough, I've seen it on the menu in several French restaurants.

And yes, it usually is made with mascarpone cheese (not ricotta) and dried tomatoes. Also pine nuts.

I don't have a favorite recipe because I don't really the combination of salmon and tomato sauce. Plus I like my salmon barely cooked and in this type of dish, that's impossible.

Glad you enjoyed yours, however.

Christina
I don't have a favorite recipe because I don't really the combination of salmon and tomato sauce.

Didn't she say it was a cheese sauce? Actually, I'd like a cream sauce with that.

Sounds like it could be delicious. I'd include leeks and garlic.

sheila
Thanks for your reply, CHristina.

There was no tomato sauce in this salmon & spinach lasagna, no pine nuts or dried tomatoes either. All it had in common with traditional lasagna was lasagna noodles and some form of cheese. It was more like moussaka in that there was a white sauce. I read about a dozen recipes online and none seemed to reflect what we ate. I don't suppose experimenting will be too awful(!), although this is a more calorific dish than I normally prepare.
Didn't she say it was a cheese sauce?

Yes but every time I've seen it on the menu (primarily, as I said, in French restaurants), it's had dried tomatoes, pine nuts and a mild tomato sauce as well.

Christina
It was more like moussaka in that there was a white sauce.....I don't suppose experimenting will be too awful

So dig up a recipe for moussaka and make all the appropriate substitutions and...you're there!

Seriously, shouldn't be too difficult to replicate and/or experiment.

Enjoy.

Christina
Yes but every time I've seen it on the menu (primarily, as I said, in French restaurants), it's had dried tomatoes, pine nuts and a mild tomato sauce as well.

I thought you assumed it's always made with tomato sauce. I agree with you re that combination. I find salmon and tomato sauce to be poor companions. But I tend not to care for tomato sauce anyway--unless it's very spicy.

sheila
But I tend not to care for tomato sauce anyway--unless it's very spicy.

I have a few dishes that I make with tomato sauce but I always add a load of garlic (surprise) and whatever spice goes best with the primary ingredient (rosemary for lamb, e.g.) And I usually add some chopped mushrooms as well.

Christina
Advertisement