Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Castallack Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Salvation Army Donation Date: 4/8/2002 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do I need a receipt if I make a donation of clothing to the Salvation Army if I want to deduct it? I'd like to just leave it in the drop bin. If I don't need one, how do I determine the worth of the items I'm donating?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60105 of 121572
Subject: Re: Salvation Army Donation Date: 4/8/2002 4:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Do I need a receipt if I make a donation of clothing to the Salvation Army if I want to deduct it? I'd like to just leave it in the drop bin. If I don't need one, how do I determine the worth of the items I'm donating?

Yes, you need a receipt. However, even if you were to bring the clothing into a Salvation Army location, they will not determine the value of the donation for you. That is your responsibility.

The only reason that I like to give my donations directly is that I can get them to stamp an itemized list of the donated items which I have prepared. I then determine the value later using appropriate guidelines.

Ira

Author: ranger54 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60149 of 121572
Subject: Re: Salvation Army Donation Date: 4/9/2002 7:00 PM
Ira is correct that the Salvation Army will not give you a price for your donations. When I have donated to them in the past I have gotten from them a list of suggested prices for various items. From that you can decide on a per item basis whether the item is in good shape and worth the full amount that they list (or more if it is in excellent condition) or if it isn't in as good of a condition then you can lower the value of it.
Carson

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement