No. of Recommendations: 1
Am I the only one that was bothered by Romney's comment:

"We're a nation that believes that we're all children of the same god"
Print the post Back To Top
Yes, because when used like that it means same God, different names.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, because when used like that it means same God, different names.

That's how I heard it.
"Am I the only one that was bothered by Romney's comment:

"We're a nation that believes that we're all children of the same god""

You're not the only one. I out loud disagreed with him - my only actual utterance as I listened.

Ken
You're not the only one. I out loud disagreed with him - my only actual utterance as I listened.

Yeah, I went "WHAT"

I working, my back is to the TV. I didn't/couldn't see what others are saying they saw. If I get some time I'll watch later.

I heard Romney getting more melodramatic as the night went on. Like he was trying really really hard to sound sympathic to the average guy.

I really don't like it when either cantidate says "This women came up and said "my sob story" can you help me? I think Romney did it more than Obama this time, but I don't like it when anyone does it. I know they all do it.

Jean
Well, I guess he just lost the Pagan and Polythiest vote
"Well, I guess he just lost the Pagan and Polythiest vote "

Those would be the coveted independent undecideds?

Ken
PS: And the atheists and agnostics, but they weren't voting for Romney anyway.

Ken
"Yes, because when used like that it means same God, different names."

Finally a republican that believes that Allah and God means the same thing/person.
Perhaps.
It didn't bother me anymore than when President Obama says "and God Bless America" at the end of many speeches.
It didn't bother me.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Am I the only one that was bothered by Romney's comment:

"We're a nation that believes that we're all children of the same god"

---

That always makes me cringe. No, Mr. Romney, we are not. We are a nation that believes religion has nothing to do with government. What and whether you believe in the supernatural is your personal belief, and we most assuredly do not all believe the same things.
We are a nation that believes religion has nothing to do with government.

No we're not. We've never been the nation you describe.

To be sure, we've always been a nation that rebelled at the idea of the government establishing a specific religion, or enforcing a specific doctrine.... but we have always been a nation in which people, including presidents and presidential candidates- regularly expressed their faith in God. And I am sure that there will be presidents in the future who express their lack of faith in God.

Your attempt to define religion as irrelevant to governance is simply that- an attempt... that does not represent any mainstream belief in the last two hundred and fifty years.

Nice try, though.

Bill Z
[ We are a nation that believes religion has nothing to do with government. ]

"No we're not. We've never been the nation you describe."

Yes, we are.

"To be sure, we've always been a nation that rebelled at the idea of the government establishing a specific religion, or enforcing a specific doctrine...."

Exactly. That is what I said.

"... but we have always been a nation in which people, including presidents and presidential candidates- regularly expressed their faith in God. And I am sure that there will be presidents in the future who express their lack of faith in God."

And that in no way contradicts what I said.

"Your attempt to define religion as irrelevant to governance is simply that- an attempt... that does not represent any mainstream belief in the last two hundred and fifty years."

I did not say it was irrelevant, nor did I say that people of faith could not or would not express their faith - or lack thereof. What I said is true. It is in our Constitution.

"To be sure, we've always been a nation that rebelled at the idea of the government establishing a specific religion, or enforcing a specific doctrine...."

Exactly. That is what I said.

Nope, that's not what you said. You took exception to Mitt voicing his own faith in God.

What was not at stake was the government establishing a particular religion or enforcing a particular church's doctrine...

With these right wing wackos, that can be a danger, to be sure.... but what Mitt said did not fall in that category.
We are a nation that believes religion has nothing to do with government.

As Bill stated, that simply is not factual. I understand the point you are trying to make but religion has been and continues to be wrapped up in our federal government - from things as simple as evoking God at the end of speeches, to our currency, to much of our public policy. Pols are often asked and invited to speak at religious events (Obama is no exception) and public policy is often written to account for the religious beliefs (not the absence of such) of others.

Even the recent healthcare law allows for a religious objection. You have no ability to object based on moral, ethic, personal or any other grounds but those of faith have then means to opt out. That is clearly an example of the government and religion intersecting.
"Nope, that's not what you said. You took exception to Mitt voicing his own faith in God."

Please reread. I took exception for Mitt speaking on behalf of everyone and saying what we all believe. We don't. He's wrong.
"I took exception for Mitt speaking on behalf of everyone and saying what we all believe. We don't. He's wrong."

IIRC, Obama has made over-generalizations about the "faith" of the country as well. On this, I figure it's a "push."

Ken
[We are a nation that believes religion has nothing to do with government.]

"As Bill stated, that simply is not factual. I understand the point you are trying to make but religion has been and continues to be wrapped up in our federal government - from things as simple as evoking God at the end of speeches, to our currency, to much of our public policy. Pols are often asked and invited to speak at religious events (Obama is no exception) and public policy is often written to account for the religious beliefs (not the absence of such) of others."

I think you understand what I meant. I did not say that government would ignore religion. What I mean is that religion does not directly have anything to do with governing. Now, that does not mean that peoples' religions do not come into play as they create legislation, or interpret law - but they cannot do so with solely a religious basis. That would be endorsing a religion. (It does happen, but it is clearly unconstitutional).

I didn't say that religion and government don't intersect.
Advertisement