No. of Recommendations: 0
Same here. I am definitely NOT an Alpha male. Not competitive, not aggressive, not combative, and I'm a major conflict avoider. It's no wonder that so many people in my life have thought I was gay, including my dad.

I don't know about most folks out here, but the dean of discipline was not one of the better teachers at any school I ever attended.

In fact the combative or aggressive are the ones I recall as the worst instructors I ever had -- except for 6th grade, Mrs. Hellion was hell on wheels, but a great teacher -- of course she was a creampuff to her better students -- in private.

Anyway, I remember a lot of wimpy teachers, or that is how I looked at them as a pre-teen and teenager. Yet they were some of my favorite teachers, the laid back pot-head who taught economics was one of the best teachers in the school and he was a classic pothead, but he loved economics and made it interesting.

I think it takes a lot to be a great teacher, and you have to just love helping the kids, even the worst of them, and never tire of trying to reach them. I think you have to be forceful in some way to let everyone know you are in charge, but it doesn't take an alpha male or female to do that.

I do not think it is easy, I think it takes forethought and a plan and a desire to provide a service to your consumer just like success in every endeavor at least that's how I saw it when I relived school through my daughter and saw her teachers through an adults eyes.

I think you can be a really good teacher if you are willing to work hard enough or if you just have a great love for and belief in what you are doing.

My guess is great teachers would be good in anything they had a passion for and that great teachers have a passion for dealing with kids and helping them grow. I think getting a job in the field that is truly your passion is rare, and that always having a plan and executing is rare even for folks that get a job in their area of passion.

But aggressive and A type personalities? I do not see it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement