UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741523  
Subject: Sandbagged, but not upset Date: 12/5/2012 2:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Monday was the pack committee meeting for my son's Cub Scout pack. There were more than three people there this time at least. I turned in my Adult Leader application and told the guy acting as Committee Chair and Cubmaster that I was interested in the Asst. Committee Chair position. He then smiled and said that there was just one catch... they didn't need an Assistant Committee Chair, they needed a Committee Chair.

The reason they want me to do it is obvious: my son is a Tiger Cub, meaning I'll be around for at least the next four years. Getting a Wolf or Bear Cub parent would be less advantageous, and a Webelos parent (unless they had a younger child in the program too) would be pretty much useless.

The guy holding both positions now was only expecting to be the Committee Chair, but the Cubmaster had to bow out for personal reasons so he's been trying to do both, and it's really two separate jobs.

So it looks like I'm going to be the effective CEO of a group that I wasn't even a member of in August of this year. It's a bit of a scary prospect, but there is training (some of which I just took, Youth Protection Training, though there's no verification that I took it which is odd) and the Cubmaster will be sticking around for at least another year to show me the ropes.

The only other hurdle is that I have to be approved by the chartering organization (in our case a Methodist Church) which shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm not a member of that church (which is encouraged) nor any church at the moment (which may have to change) but I can do that if need be.

On an interesting side note it appears that the father of our crazy neighbor woman (the one with a son just younger than mine) was a former Cubmaster in the pack. That means that Ditzy (as I refer to her, if you met her you'd agree, trust me!) and her son will likely be part of the pack next year. THAT will be a challenge! Her son is a tad bit... uncontrollable (to put it mildly). I'm convinced he's somewhere on the Autism spectrum. He does listen to some people but NOT his mother, which could be a problem during pack or den meetings. But having me as the Committee Chair might help a bit since he somewhat listens to me, and I'd be there. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I have to call the Cubmaster tonight to set up the meeting with the Chartered Org rep. I may also need a laptop sooner than I thought... wouldn't do me any good to try to run things from my iPhone and my desktop isn't any better (Acer refurb running Vista with a nearly-full hard drive). At the very least I'll be able to improve upon the filing system the current guy's using. Evernote alone will fix that!

I'm nervous but excited. Nervous because it's a lot of responsibility (a lot of kids will be depending upon me to not let them down!) but excited that I'm going to help good kids be better kids and hopefully responsible adults. And I get to wear a nifty uniform with some neat patches. Should work on this gut a bit though...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement