UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 457712  
Subject: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 2:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
Already was a good analysis from a fellow Fool that the initial this early morning impression, best case scenario is a 1% hit to 4Q2012 GDP growth. That figure will only get worse as things get added up. Major impacts to GDP looking through the mountain of reports:

1) Unknown number of structures that are going to be uninhabitable. Remember, a lot of these properties were not covered under flood insurance. It's going to be out of pocket and guaranteed government loans for rebuilding. There are homes destroyed from Massachusetts to Ohio to North Carolina. Need to see how many.

2) No NYC subway for 5 days - minimum - before full operation. That means not only can workers not get into Manhattan, but the essential workers, the ones needed for clean up, will have the hardest time with no transit solution.

3) No power from 39th down to the Battery, minimum 5 days. This includes many global business centers. Despite the insistence from fellow Fools that the lights were out because Con-Ed turned them off, we now know the story - as I posted yesterday. A major transformer farm succumb to the storm surge and has been destroyed.

4) The Atlantic City Boardwalk is destroyed. We're talking hand of God, nothing left but shattered buildings, foundations and pilings destroyed.

5) Eight million CUSTOMERS in the dark, some will be without power for weeks. A CUSTOMER is different than a person. A customer in New York city could be a wealthy person in a stand alone home or a 50 story apartment building. The number of PEOPLE in the dark is much, much bigger. This includes businesses that can't operate.

6) Fleets of NYC taxis and buses are underwater. This will have a serious impact on transportation infrastructure lowering the number of available vehicles. The flooded fleets should be covered by insurance claims.

I'll keep adding to this thread over the next few days. I think GDP loss in the 4th quarter could go as high as 3%, and 4Q2012 will show negative growth.

Now, for the Foolish investor. Where are the wins? Home Depot and Lowes are going to be no brainers. Both stores do well after major disasters, they are both good at logistics and JIT of critical inventory, and more so for Home Depot, on the rebound after the economic meltdown. Full disclosure - I do own HD stock.

I would look at suppliers for the power and utilities industries - they are going to be moving materials and services.

Nissan should be a winner given any Ford Panther body cab sitting under water is likely to be replaced by a new Nissan. After an initial shock in car sales, those who have cars flooded will need to replace (once the ECM gets wet, a modern car is dead) so I would see a lift for the auto makers.

Longer term I think cloud service providers could be winner, as companies that need to replace infrastructure will look more to the cloud, both from a cost savings and security stand point.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407298 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 2:26 PM
Recommendations: 0
Some more reports. On New Jersey Transit the Newark, Hoboken, and Secaucus stations have all suffered major damage. No work on the condition of the track themselves. The Newark station in particular is a major hub for New Jersey Transit and Amtrak.

LGA has major water damage and EWR does not know when they will reopen.

Airline cost impacts are currently projected at 1/2 a billion and climbing. Operations will be disrupted for days.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407299 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 2:42 PM
5) Eight million CUSTOMERS in the dark, some will be without power for weeks. A CUSTOMER is different than a person. A customer in New York city could be a wealthy person in a stand alone home or a 50 story apartment building. The number of PEOPLE in the dark is much, much bigger. This includes businesses that can't operate.

This is a critical point. I calculated 7 million people. & or 8 million customers probably is closer to 24 to 32 million people. At the higher number, 32 million you are talking a significant portion of the population who will not be productive for the duration of the outage.

Rough numbers.

32 million ~ 10 percent of U.S. population.

5 work days ~ 2.5 percent of work days

Just the lost productivity for the power outage would be around a 1/4 point of the GDP.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407300 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 2:43 PM
Recommendations: 3
Another update:

1) No estimate now on when the NYC Subway system will open again. The federal government is sending in a special team to aid in the pumping and restoration of the tunnels.

2) La Guardia airport has suffered major flooding damage. There is no ETA on when the airport will reopen. If you do a search you can find pictures of the water up to the jetways, and that was before the peak of the storm.

3) No estimate on when Newark Airport will reopen - one of the biggest hubs in North America and a vital service hub for United Airlines. Major damage also reported

4) New York city hopes to have full bus service restored to non-flooded areas by end of day tomorrow. Also, they are making buses fare free for the next two days.

5) Predictions of power restoration in days are now moving out a couple of more, from 4 to 5, to 5 to 7. This will probably continue to move out.

6) There are a lot of RUMORS of wide spread looting and gangs organizing via Twitter and Facebook to do mass, organized looting. However, there are no confirmed reports, and only the fringe media is focusing on these reports. There are about 1200 National Guard troops on patrol to prevent looting.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407302 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 2:47 PM
This is a critical point. I calculated 7 million people. & or 8 million customers probably is closer to 24 to 32 million people. At the higher number, 32 million you are talking a significant portion of the population who will not be productive for the duration of the outage.

Rough numbers.

32 million ~ 10 percent of U.S. population.

5 work days ~ 2.5 percent of work days

Just the lost productivity for the power outage would be around a 1/4 point of the GDP.

Exactly. The Foolish questions now is where are the money making opportunities, and what sectors should you pull out of.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407305 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 3:27 PM
Recommendations: 5
Exactly. The Foolish questions now is where are the money making opportunities, and what sectors should you pull out of.

Unfortunately Stihl is a privately held company.

There will be mountains of waste, in Katrina and Rita, I do not know about Ike, FEMA contractors hauled the waste to centralized disposal sites. I suspect that large companies like Waste Management will have their hands in this in the Northeast, and it will improve their bottom lines.

A great many skid steer loaders will be needed for the clean up. There were many idle after Katrina and Rita and Ike. So will be refurbished, others will have been scrapped and new ones will need to be built.

http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Skid_Steer_Loaders_s/60.ht...

The trailers used to haul the trash are special. I would expect Modern Industries to be building them, but they are a private company also.

Many, many light trucks will be required. Dodge builds the most economical truck, however as much as I hate to say anything about them, Ford builds the least expensive fleet one ton on the road.

As the storm did not have really high winds, but had a very large wind field, there may be enough wind over a very large area that every roof will need to be replaced. If this is so, a shingles manufacture may be a good investment. I would drop by Lowe's and Home Depot, if the roofs are a major problem the shingles will be stacked head high in the parking lot and a quick look at the name on the side will tell you where to start your search.

One inch of water ruins the carpet, start your search here.

http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/buying-carpet/carpet-pri...

One inch of water might not ruin the carpet, call Service Master.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=118856&p=iro...

However, I am not positive that it is public, the symbol SVM takes me to Silver Corp, not Service Master.

In Rita and Katrina, the power company ran out of wire. I do not think that will be a problem here. But one might want to keep an eye on the price of copper and rolled wire goods, (Most wire hanging in the air is not copper, it is aluminum.)

In the short run, insurance companies will take a hit, but just like Texas and Florida they will push through huge rate increases followed by the likelihood of fewer storms. Berkshire Hathaway may be a buy on the dip.

Timber RIETs like Weyerhaeuser (WY) and Plum Creek Timber (PCL) might be a buy, but I don't know, a close watch on how much lumber passes out of Lowe's and Home Depot would be nice to know. What is in those baskets is just as important as how many baskets.

Square D makes many of the panels used in residential. (China makes many also, but I tend to pick up Square D) these are made by Schneider Electric SA. This is listed on the Paris Stock exchange, I cannot find a U.S. symbol.

There will be a need for concrete, but I have no idea how that will play out.

I don't know about shorts, Con Ed may be a good short.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407310 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 3:43 PM
Recommendations: 2
Anybody mention appliances? The salt water corroded our washer, dryer and hot water heater after Irene, and the safety guy made us replace the hot water heater even though it was not completely ruined because it was a fire hazard.

And there is an amazing amount of extra flooding in rain swollen rivers when these things go inland and slow down.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407312 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 3:49 PM

I can't pull out of. Mostly cash except for T, TOT and an variable annuity.

Reminds me of a scene from Super Troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKtGnyGuKM

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407317 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 4:25 PM
I would also be concerned, as the markets open and claims come in and the insurance companies are forced to turn some of their holdings into cash to pay for the rebuild... with what happens to the values over the short ( less than 1 year ) horizon.

Will there not be a dip?

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407322 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 5:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
Some good economic news - it appears the Mid-Atlantic oil and gas industry has survived relatively unscathed. The largest refinery in the east coast is already back to full production. The worst hit Bayway Phillips 66 plant has "some" flooding but Phillips' is saying that production will be back online in 24 to 48 hours.

Prices are up - but dire predictions of $5 a gallon gasoline (national average) seem to be - dare I say it, hype. There are pipelines and tank farms without power, but even if those are offline for 4 to 7 days the impact is not expected to be severe.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407324 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 5:56 PM
First report I've seen out of NY that paints a clear picture of the Breezy Point section of Queens.

About 80 homes burned to the ground. Of the 3000 homes in the area, 80% are damaged, 40% are outright destroyed. The people who had their homes burn are incredibly lucky - they get to make insurance claims. The rest who were flooded out...

You do the math.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407329 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 6:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_City,_Texas

About 80 homes burned to the ground. Of the 3000 homes in the area, 80% are damaged, 40% are outright destroyed. The people who had their homes burn are incredibly lucky - they get to make insurance claims. The rest who were flooded out...

You do the math.

About like Bridge City. My initial estimate was low. The losses on the East Coast may rival or surpass Katrina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

Hurricane Katrina was the deadliest and most destructive Atlantic hurricane of the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. It was the costliest natural disaster, as well as one of the five deadliest hurricanes, in the history of the United States.[3] Among recorded Atlantic hurricanes, it was the sixth strongest overall. At least 1,833 people died in the hurricane and subsequent floods, making it the deadliest U.S. hurricane since the 1928 Okeechobee hurricane; total property damage was estimated at $81 billion (2005 USD),[3] nearly triple the damage wrought by Hurricane Andrew in 1992.[4]

However the loss of life is not as bad, but poor judgement seems to afflict everyone.

I think a big difference between the hurricane on the Gulf Coast and the East Coast is the value of and the expense to replace the damage.

Much of the damage in New Orleans has not and probably never will be repaired. However, my guess is that very few areas on the East Coast will be abandoned.

On the other hand, It appears that most of the major cities will have partial power by Friday. After Rita we had no power of any sort for two weeks. This situation is much better.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407330 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 6:37 PM
Hurricane Ike

Bridge City, Texas was heavily damaged by Hurricane Ike on September 13, 2008, and is now in the slow process of recovering and rebuilding.[5] Damage was widespread and severe across Orange County. With over 95 percent of buildings and houses in Bridge City totally gutted, the city was nearly completely destroyed. The 22-foot (6.7 m) storm surge completely flooded the city and obliterated everything in its way. Storm surge breached the levee at the City of Orange, and traveled up the Neches River to flood Rose City.

In the City of Orange, right next to Bridge City, nearly the entire city of 19,000 people was flooded, anywhere from 6 inches (15 cm) to 15 feet (4.5 m).[6] The mayor of the city said about 375 people, of those who stayed behind during the storm, began to emerge, some needing food, water and medical care.[6] Many dead fish littered streets and properties.[7] Bridge City Mayor Kirk Roccaforte estimated that only 14 homes in the city were unaffected by the surge. Five of which were in the Oakview addition on Louise Street. The piles of debris and waterlogged furniture placed outside homes by residents beginning to clean up led the mayor to say "The whole city looks like a flea market."[3] During the post-storm cleanup, Bridge City residents found swimming pools had been occupied by jellyfish brought inland with the water.[8] Three people were found dead in Orange County on September 29.[9]

My post was unclear, the italics was the previous quote, the link was to the Wikipedia page on Bridge City Texas. Some people had jelly fish in their swimming pools, I had a couple of minnows swimming around in my refrigerator.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407337 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/30/2012 8:28 PM
How about an ETF, WOOD? Current top 5 major holdings are:

Weyerhauser 9.77%
Rayonier 9.14%
Plum Creek 8.44%
West Frasier 6.24%
Potlatch 5.20%

Expenses are 0.48 and it also pays a dividend of around 2.2%.

FWIW, it was selling for around 41.5 on 10/19, for comparison.

PM

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407362 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 10:35 AM
Longer term I think cloud service providers could be winner, as companies that need to replace infrastructure will look more to the cloud, both from a cost savings and security stand point.
=====================================
Cloud computing is really just an expression for internet-based software and processing. It still runs on ground-based fiber optic cables, so I don't know how much difference there really is.

Bill

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407371 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 12:48 PM
Cloud computing is really just an expression for internet-based software and processing. It still runs on ground-based fiber optic cables, so I don't know how much difference there really is.

Exactly! "Cloud computing" is nothing more than storing data on someone else's server -- a successful re-branding of the old "remote data storage" concept.

Ah MARKETING! It's what makes the sales go 'round!

Desert (And if your cloud's server was hit by super storm Sandy your data is just as lost as if it was on only your computer.) Dave

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407373 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 1:50 PM
I don't know if Cloud computing is a good or bad investment as infrastructure gets rebuilt.
I do know that there will be more usage of Cloud computing for services e.g. Facebook, Yahoo,
Google, Amazon, etc. will continue to grow their presence via the Cloud.

And, ...
Desert (And if your cloud's server was hit by super storm Sandy your data is just as lost as if it was on only your computer.) Dave

This is really a terribly inaccurate statement. For example, I'm having connectivity issues
with Yahoo currently. That's a connectivity issue. I'm sure that later in the day I will
find a majority of my emails available, both new email messages and old messages.

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407374 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 2:07 PM
Well - actually the cloud replicates data on distributed servers in such a way that it is less likely that all your stuff will disappear.

The larger problem with the cloud is not the reliability of the service... but the reliability of the security.

The cloud is not so very different from dedicated servers replicating data in different places... Ford having servers in CA, GA, MO, MI and NY for instance.. with data replicated. The difference is that one mob is selling space on its servers to Ford, GM, GE, Boeing and BA, so they don't have to EACH have the expense of the dedicated servers.

The other difference is that those servers have become bullseye targets for the hacking class and No Such Agencies.

How you feel about that sort of security issue depends on your level of business or general paranoia.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407376 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 3:03 PM
Exactly! "Cloud computing" is nothing more than storing data on someone else's server -- a successful re-branding of the old "remote data storage" concept.

Ah MARKETING! It's what makes the sales go 'round!

Your fear of technology is truly mind blowing.

I'm shocked you have a computer, let alone get on that new fangled thing called the internet. Are you using a Commodore 64 with a dial up RS232 interface modem at 300 baud?

Anything faster - SCARY!

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407385 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 5:41 PM

This is really a terribly inaccurate statement. For example, I'm having connectivity issues with Yahoo currently. That's a connectivity issue. I'm sure that later in the day I will find a majority of my emails available, both new email messages and old messages.

Au contraire! It is really a terribly accurate statement. If your Yahoo server was destroyed (assuming no backups) your emails etc. would be irretrievably lost.

Your connectivity problems have nothing to do with the state of your server but rather the state of the wires (fiber optics etc.) going into the server.

Put another way, the data is on the server. If the server goes so goes the data (again assuming no off-site backups).

I hope you get through to your Yahoo server. If you do (assuming no damage to the server) you should find all your files undamaged.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407386 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 5:56 PM
Your fear of technology is truly mind blowing.

Where did fear of technology come into this?

I'm shocked you have a computer, let alone get on that new fangled thing called the internet. Are you using a Commodore 64 with a dial up RS232 interface modem at 300 baud?

Back in the day I was what they now call an "early adaptor" Starting off with a Tandy 1000 SX bought from Radio Shack.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000#Tandy_1000_SX.2FTX
and yes I connected to the phone line with on (you guessed it) a 300 baud modem.

Desert (there have been several upgrades over the years;-) Dave

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407387 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 6:21 PM
Recommendations: 2
It is really a terribly accurate statement. If your Yahoo server was destroyed (assuming no backups) your emails etc. would be irretrievably lost.

No Dave, THAT is what you are missing about the cloud infrastructure. My Yahoo Mail is not dependent
on a single server, or two, or even an entire server rack in a location in Hurricane Sandy's path.
For the large providers e.g. Yahoo, data has been replicated. So even if a copy happened to have
been on a server at a location in the path of Hurricane Sandy, there are other locations where
that data exists.

You are confusing availability/ability to access data with the loss of data. FWIW, my Yahoo email
service is working fine now. While it is possible that some mail might not have reached my mail-box
the last few days, I have access to my current and past emails, all of it.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407388 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 6:38 PM
If your Yahoo server was destroyed (assuming no backups) your emails etc. would be irretrievably lost.

With cloud computing, losing the data is not the problem. You could probably lose all the data servers on North America, and not lose your data, and it that data was an embarrassing picture, after the zombie Apocalypse the zombies and roaches would probably still be able to pull it up and snicker at it.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407389 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 6:53 PM
It is really a terribly accurate statement. If your Yahoo server was destroyed (assuming no backups) your emails etc. would be irretrievably lost.

No Dave, THAT is what you are missing about the cloud infrastructure. My Yahoo Mail is not dependent on a single server, or two, or even an entire server rack in a location in Hurricane Sandy's path.

So there were backups, good!

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407390 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 6:59 PM
With cloud computing, losing the data is not the problem. You could probably lose all the data servers on North America, and not lose your data,...

If I'm understanding you guys correctly every Yahoo email is saved on several servers here in the states AND on a server or two overseas?

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407397 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 8:22 PM
and yes I connected to the phone line with on (you guessed it) a 300 baud modem.

I had one of those. Didn't have acoustic couplers but did have a big red button to turn it on.

Which was useful for dealing with robocallers as well.

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407400 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 8:51 PM
If I'm understanding you guys correctly every Yahoo email is saved on several servers here in the states AND on a server or two overseas?

The clouds have parted, and you are starting ... to get the cloud computing idea. I can't
vouch for the overseas part beyond Canada, but I'd assume a larger provider e.g. Yahoo,
Facebook, Google, would build this into their infrastructure.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407401 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 8:53 PM

I don't know about Yahoo, but the Google does. In the case of this post, if someone ever Googles "Qazulight" all the posts I have made on the Fool will be listed in the search, and saved. They will be saved across a distributed server system around the world.

I suspect that Yahoo, Windows Live, Hot Mail, the ICloud and others use the same strategy and protocol.

However, I have never done and in depth study as I simply do not care. I keep a copy of stuff on my computer, on a flash drive, on a 5 gig book drive, on my wife's computer, on my work computer and on a share drive at my job.

I am NOT paranoid. Nope, not even a little bit.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407402 of 457712
Subject: Re: Sandy: Adding Up The Economic Cost Date: 10/31/2012 9:14 PM

The clouds have parted, and you are starting ...

A short perusal comes up with 100 trillion emails per year (worldwide, not just yahoo) in 2010.
http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/01/12/internet-2010-in-numbers...

Have you got a link that would show how/why every email would be saved five or ten times?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement