UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947822  
Subject: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 8:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The Senate voted 91-1 to pur their $60 billion Sandy bill up for a vote.

Contained in the bill, Bill is less than the $82 billion requested by the governors of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, the Bill would provide much needed funds for affected states to clean up storm damage and undertake long-term projects to protect against the effects of future storms. The Bill would authorize an increase of allocation of Federal low-income housing tax credits, Historic Tax Credits, and New Markets Tax Credits as well as Recovery Zone Bonds in those areas affected by Hurricane Sandy.

About a third of the so-called Sandy bill in the Senate contains slush funds for localities, in the form of block grants. Amtrak gets more funding than ever, and several other payback porkola items.

The Senate should be ashamed, unless they didn't get the memo about pork and spending yet.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850583 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 8:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is a case where the House verison is dead on. You give New York, New Jersey (and others effected) $30 billion and eliminate as much pork as possible. (I know it's impossible to eliminate all of it).

Then in 6 or 9 months whenever the money starts to run out, they can ask for more. There's no reason to allocate all the money at once if it's going to take a few years to spend.

Heck even if the Senate is 100% correct and $60 Billion is the right number, why not spread it out in 3 payments of $20 Billion say every 3 months. Let the head of FEMA decide when to release each payment of $20 Billion.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850584 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 8:51 AM
Then in 6 or 9 months whenever the money starts to run out, they can ask for more. There's no reason to allocate all the money at once if it's going to take a few years to spend.

Heck even if the Senate is 100% correct and $60 Billion is the right number, why not spread it out in 3 payments of $20 Billion say every 3 months. Let the head of FEMA decide when to release each payment of $20 Billion.

Absolutely the way it should work. But the Senate bill contains a bunch of pork like block grants that are paybacks so they can get the vote. People forget that with all of the cuts coming up to their favorite programs, many of the cuts are necessary because senseless pork has been added to various bills for many years. Much of this pork is political payola, benefitting those areas where the politicians demand a pay for vote.

This happens in both parties, and some of those people that deride the pork so much, are masters at getting it. You'd think with all of the attention spending is going to get this first quarter, they'd lay low. However, they are as arrogant about wasting money as ever. If the Republicans were as genuinely interesting in cutting spending as they say, they could in fact lead the country by showing the way here. Not by being angry and arrogant, but pointing out specifically what they view as unnecessary.

Not just in the Senate bill here, but in all areas of the budget.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850588 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 9:14 AM
Not by being angry and arrogant, but pointing out specifically what they view as unnecessary.

People hear what they want to hear...why do we know about the Amtrak funding, and Alaskan fisheries in the bill but other's don't? Why isn't Christie calling out Democrats for placing such payments in the bill? Because people don't pay attention when people like Issa mention these things.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850591 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:12 AM
People hear what they want to hear...why do we know about the Amtrak funding, and Alaskan fisheries in the bill but other's don't? Why isn't Christie calling out Democrats for placing such payments in the bill?

It's not Christie's job to make sure a disaster relief bill is pork free. His concern is to make sure there IS a relief bill that is passed. If Issa and others don't like what was in the Senate bill, then make amendments to take those items out or submit your own "clean" bill.

Grape

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850595 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:17 AM
It's not Christie's job to make sure a disaster relief bill is pork free.

It is his job to make sure that his comments are grounded in some modicum of legitimacy.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850596 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:18 AM
And now we have.....

"Still, the House Appropriations Committee produced a bill Tuesday that significantly pared back the Senate version, bringing it down to $27 billion. The initial plan was to put that bill for a vote, and then allow a separate vote on a $33 billion amendment -- many Republicans were expected to oppose the second half, while potentially approving the $27 billion component.
Now, it appears the House will move forward with a vote on the full $60 billion, in two installments.
A procession of lawmakers took to the House floor Wednesday to urge action on the bill, and decry the decision to postpone it.
"We cannot and we should not wait," House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer said. "We must not walk away. I urge the speaker of this House to reconsider and act immediately. Now is the time to act."
A spokesman for Boehner, Michael Steel, said, "The speaker is committed to getting this bill passed this month."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/02/house-adjourns-cu...

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850599 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:29 AM
It's not Christie's job to make sure a disaster relief bill is pork free. His concern is to make sure there IS a relief bill that is passed.

If he's going to show some outrage, then he should aim some of it at those adding unrelated pork to the bill and demand that a clean bill be passed. He should at least be informed when he goes public. And he shouldn't be shocked that the Speaker didn't return his call right away when he was pre-occupied with the Fiscal Cliff bill. It's not like the Speaker was playing golf.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850605 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:44 AM
It's not Christie's job to make sure a disaster relief bill is pork free. His concern is to make sure there IS a relief bill that is passed.

Then wouldn't it be easiest to see a relief bill that was pork free come up for a vote since NO ONE would disagree with it ?

His comments were after the fact, did he not know there was pork and that is why it was stopped?

Please, save the stupid BS. That is an absurd justification

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850607 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:48 AM
Recommendations: 2
It is his job to make sure that his comments are grounded in some modicum of legitimacy.

Katrina: Bill after 10 days
Andrew: Bill after 31 days
Sandy: 68 days and still no bill

I'd say that's pretty legitimate.

Grape

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850611 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:50 AM
Recommendations: 6
If he's going to show some outrage, then he should aim some of it at those adding unrelated pork to the bill and demand that a clean bill be passed. He should at least be informed when he goes public. And he shouldn't be shocked that the Speaker didn't return his call right away when he was pre-occupied with the Fiscal Cliff bill. It's not like the Speaker was playing golf.

68 days since the hurricane struck. Sorry, Congress failed to do their job. His criticism was dead on.

Grape

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850613 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:54 AM
Recommendations: 2
Then wouldn't it be easiest to see a relief bill that was pork free come up for a vote since NO ONE would disagree with it ?f

So why didn't the House submit just that? Oh, I guess they were too busy screaming "pork pork!!!" instead of dealing with the issue.

Please, save the stupid BS. That is an absurd justification

It's absurd to excuse Congress from doing their job. If you want a pork free bill, then submit one and take it up, don't ignore the issue because you didn't like what you got from the Senate. Talk about absurd.

Grape

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850614 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 10:57 AM
No one is doubting that the Republican controlled Congress back during Katrina was not a better Congress than what we have now.

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850616 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 11:06 AM
Remember FEMA? FEMA has money ,more than $2 billion in federal funds has been spent so far and they still have $4.3 billion

I believe the House votes on more funding for the National Flood Insurance Program on friday.

Bears

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850638 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 12:39 PM
Then wouldn't it be easiest to see a relief bill that was pork free come up for a vote since NO ONE would disagree with it ?f

So why didn't the House submit just that? Oh, I guess they were too busy screaming "pork pork!!!" instead of dealing with the issue.

BEcause what they were presented with a pork laden piece of garbage. Perhaps it takes more than this amount of time, to do the right thing in a bill? PErhaps knowing that funding was not a problem for a while, this was not the top priority?

Perhaps they were forced to deal with this issue at a time when it was not a priority, because crooks, the ones you believe in wanted to lard it up and take advantage of an artificial crisis, which if you accept that the funding is not needed for months in any meaningful way this is, manufactured.

Your insincere garbage is just fine, enjoy it. What was done was wrong, that nothing better has not been finished -- is not a bad thing. Folks besides Democrats may actually believe in crafting good legislation rather than throwing money at a department and do a bumhc of pork barrel spending

It's absurd to excuse Congress from doing their job. If you want a pork free bill, then submit one and take it up, don't ignore the issue because you didn't like what you got from the Senate. Talk about absurd.

Congresses job is to pass good legislation not to rush through garbage. IF the relief efforts were being hampered, you would have a point. Without that? You have a bunch of garbage, and a demonstrated ability not to be able to see you are being used by masters of the absurd. You are being used as a dupe to get payolka in a manufactured crisis. In so doing, you are protecting bad actors and attacking those who MAY(I can't really say) be doing the right things

This do something, even if it is wrong do womeething, is so utterly absurd it is rather sickening. Can you see how you are being played for a fool? I hope so

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850639 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 12:40 PM
Remember FEMA? FEMA has money ,more than $2 billion in federal funds has been spent so far and they still have $4.3 billion

I believe the House votes on more funding for the National Flood Insurance Program on friday

Don't tell that to the loyal cattle.

They are being played for fools in a manufactured timeline crisis.

They love being made fools of, it makes them feel they are superior. God only knows why.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1850656 of 1947822
Subject: Re: Sandy Bill Up For Senate Vote Date: 1/3/2013 1:02 PM
BEcause what they were presented with a pork laden piece of garbage. Perhaps it takes more than this amount of time, to do the right thing in a bill? PErhaps knowing that funding was not a problem for a while, this was not the top priority?

Perhaps this should have been dealt with back in November? Perhaps they could have amended out the pork? Perhaps they should start doing their jobs?

Your insincere garbage is just fine, enjoy it.

Yes, my insincere garbage. My insincere garbage must be from watching these morons tie up governments hands in an artificially made crisis of their own doing while residents in my Town wait for this game to be played out so they can get some water to their homes that is actually safe to drink. Do you think Christie, King, et al are the only ones who are fed up?

Congresses job is to pass good legislation not to rush through garbage.

I'm still waiting for that to happen.

You are being used as a dupe to get payolka in a manufactured crisis. In so doing, you are protecting bad actors and attacking those who MAY(I can't really say) be doing the right things

Payolla. While the pork spending needs to stop, that's a drop in the bucket compared to where the real spending cuts are needed. So yeah, let's make a big show of cutting out the morning latte's while they buy another vacation home. AMEND THE FRICKIN BILL AND BE DONE WITH IT. Is that so hard? Don't want to support Alaskan fisheries, amend the spending to $1.

This do something, even if it is wrong do womeething, is so utterly absurd it is rather sickening. Can you see how you are being played for a fool? I hope so

We've all been played for fools for a very long time. Do something. Therein lies the operative word. This Congress can't get off the dime on anything. Now that is what is truly sickening.

Grape

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement