UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1960820  
Subject: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 1:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 50
http://boards.fool.com/sandy-bill-up-for-senate-vote-3046352...

I hope cjb, lowstudent, etc. who all railed about the pork in the Sandy Relief Bill take a look at who put that pork there:

"Pork Holding Up Senate Sandy Relief Bill Funneled Into The Troughs Of GOP Deficit Hawks? You Betcha."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/01/03/pork-holdin...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851220 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 8:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
And everyone who told McCain that pork or earmarks are not such a biggie should watch also.

My view: Good for both sides who take taxpayer money, and use it to benefit their own selves. Here's to Democrats and Republicans. Once again, treating their constituents in a manner that befits them.

Anyone who disagrees hates government and should live in Somalia.

Jedi

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851222 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 8:45 AM
http://boards.fool.com/sandy-bill-up-for-senate-vote-3046352......

I hope cjb, lowstudent, etc. who all railed about the pork in the Sandy Relief Bill take a look at who put that pork there:

"Pork Holding Up Senate Sandy Relief Bill Funneled Into The Troughs Of GOP Deficit Hawks? You Betcha."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/01/03/pork-holdin......

WHo runs the Senate?

WHo has stymied anything they do not approve of coming out of the Senate?

The Republicans are veritable Gods, they rule Harry Reid and have been the impediment all along

Unlike libs, I do not think that the Republicans are good guys, just less bad guys than the Dems

You don't believe it, look at ObamaCare -- one group put together something that totally sucked and the other group didn't even read it and passed it through

Please, do not be a total tool. NOTHING gets out of the Senate that is not approved by Reid.

You are going to forward this telling me that Reid was afraid of a Republican filibuster of a clean aid bill? Seriously? You are going to actually tell me you believe that? Come on, no one is that blisteringly dumb.

This was Reid's handiwork. The pork? I do not know what it bought or why it was in there, but the Republicans would not have filibustered a clean bill -- that would be suicide. That is just ridiculous.

Again, I do not pretend Republicans are good.

But you have to be a complete idiot to believe that Reid could not have gotten a clean bill through had he wanted. What were his motives and why ? Who cares Republicans are evil because Reid passed a dirty bill down to the House.

YEs I believe the Republicans took pork. It is what politicians do. Why did Reid offer it? To beat a filibusterer? Please don't act that stupidly.

Did the House do the right thing in rejecting it?

Find the good guys if any, what party are they from? The Dems who rejected the pork in the Senate?? The Dems who rejected the pork in the House?

Once again, you ask it I see? Yes, I see as clear as day what I always see.

Republicans bad, Democrats worse at every single instance. If you would open your eyes you might see that too

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851224 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 9:13 AM

Oh and BTW,

Do you really believe the bulk of the pork goes to Republicans? Or even close to the majority of the pork?

I am glad you expect Republicans to be perfect and get upset when they are not

I am not at all curious you find it totally acceptable for Dems to totally suck, be far worse than Republicans and yet find reason to say the Republicans are bad people. Because an unrelated body under their control did the right thing

Do you see just how screwed up that is? Do you understand the inherent evil in a whole bunch of people reccing this garbage and mindlessly forgiving Dems without considering the obvious silly nature of your rant?

Liberalism is a sickness, get some balanced information, perhaps you can start on the road to a cure.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851248 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 12:02 PM
I guess I'm confused about the thread's direction. Is this a case where Republican states got some pork, and the Dems are at fault for supporting it? Or is this a case where House GOP is to be commended for protesting pork of all kinds?

Question is this. Why is there so much added to a bill for Hurricane Sandy relief? Why not split it into several bills to be weighed on their own merit?

I don't view this issue as partisan, I view it as an arrogant display of spending right after Fiscal Cliff talks, and a coming debt ceiling. Not to mention, the tax credits and other pork attached to the fiscal cliff detail.

Author: jakalant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851249 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 12:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
The issue is the hypocrisy. It's been part and parcel of the GOP since Nixon.

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851256 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 12:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
Question is this. Why is there so much added to a bill for Hurricane Sandy relief?

Now, in senate everything is getting filibustered, even the minority leader proposes a bill and he turns around filibusters himself. The republicans are driven by a policy of "let us filibuster" everything.

So this created a situation where you need 60 votes to pass anything. To get 60 votes Reid, roped in 6 GOP senators and they demanded pork and he agreed to it.

The pork is added to get the vote, so splitting them will not get the bill passed and delay the relief NJ & NY is asking.

I think it is about a simple and clear demonstration of GOP values and demonstrates the reason GOP is losing "fiscally conservative" message.

The party would throw the country over any number of crisis to protect the tax hikes for rich, cutting loopholes for corporates, cutting a dime from defense budget, keep demanding to go to war, and somehow expects none of the above costs money.

When they rail against 10's of million for PBS or planned parendhood, in the name of policy, they look hollow, cheap, valuless folks.

To me, today's GOP policy simply stands for protect rich, mega corporations, keep going to wars, on social issues take extreme positions on "abortion".

We need a real conservative movement, which is clear on its values, represents main stream middle class voters and not representing fringes of the party. Hope they realize they are depriving the country of a meaningful opposition.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851259 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 12:52 PM
Now, in senate everything is getting filibustered, even the minority leader proposes a bill and he turns around filibusters himself. The republicans are driven by a policy of "let us filibuster" everything.

So this created a situation where you need 60 votes to pass anything. To get 60 votes Reid, roped in 6 GOP senators and they demanded pork and he agreed to it.

what a pantload of utter garbage.

No one would have stopped a clean bill, it would have been political suicide

Some clown writes about the Republican pork, while ignoring all the Democratic por, and makes an absurd claim that the reason for the pork was to get it passed.

If the Dems could have gotten the Republicans to filibuster a clean relief bill, they would have done it in a nanosecond

You have to be both politically brutally naive as well as just dumb as a rock to believe otherwise

I continue to believe no one is this stupid. But folks keep trying to convince me that yes indeed they are.

I for one happen to agree with HMA, ALLLLLLLL BILLs should do one thing only.

Never happen, but that would end the stupidity like the reason this thread was launched

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851261 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 12:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
No one would have stopped a clean bill, it would have been political suicide

Some clown writes about the Republican pork, while ignoring all the Democratic por, and makes an absurd claim that the reason for the pork was to get it passed.

Go ahead and list democratic pork, a pork that is specifically targetted for a state, represented by 2 democratic senators.

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851305 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 3:23 PM

Republicans bad, Democrats worse at every single instance. If you would open your eyes you might see that too

- lowstudent

Actually what this recent vote count reveals is the increasing fracture in the Republican Party between the uncompromising, antiFederal Government South and the rest of the country.

All of the votes against the "fiscal-cliff" compromise (in the house) were the bloc of Southern Republicans. It was Republicans from the rest of the country that voted for consensus. Further, it was the bloc of Southern Republicans that voted against the $60-billion disaster relief package for victims of the Hurricane that hit the Northeast...
Interesting that the bloc of Southern Republicans voted For previous storm relief bills for Louisiana & Florida. This is exactly what enraged Gov. Christy to say, "toxic internal politics of The House majority.”

Even still republicans see that the main course of the Republican Party is slowly becoming a southern confederate nation that bows to unbelievable ignorance, mythology, religious dogma, and illiteracy.
"An increasing challenge for Northeastern Republicans, and West Coast Republicans, for that matter, is the growing perception among their constituents that the Republican Party is predominantly a Southern and rural party," said Dan Schnur, a former GOP campaign strategist

When every time anyone points out that Obama won the election, conservatives point out that Republicans won [?] the House:

In fact, the Republicans are only winning as ex-confederate states:
Outside the South, however, it's a different story.
As a result of reapportionment and the 2012 election, the GOP no longer controls a majority of non-Southern congressional districts. In the last Congress, Republicans held a slim, two-district majority in non-Southern states; now Democrats have a 24-seat edge. Still, the Republicans have a comfortable 33-seat overall majority in the House — two seats are vacant — and only the most optimistic Democrats believe that Republicans will lose control of the chamber in 2014.

As southern Republicans continue to build creationist amusement parks, debunk 300 years of science with Religious Dogma, intolerance, and myth, the rest of the county will marginalize Republicans, perhaps until there is enough frustration to form a third party.

Republican Party divide increasingly a matter of region
As Washington's budget battles show, a divide in the GOP between its Southern base and the rest of country is widening...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gop-ana...

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851307 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 3:30 PM
Let me get this straight.

They pass a final bill of $9.7 billion in new aid for victims of Hurricane Sandy

The Senate originally passed a $60 billion for the same

And it is being said that the House republicans are pouring on the pork?

Bears

Author: jah609 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851308 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 3:33 PM
<<<<Republican Party divide increasingly a matter of region
As Washington's budget battles show, a divide in the GOP between its Southern base and the rest of country is widening...>>>

So what you're saying is Southners have conviction and integrity.

Maybe, someday, Northerners and others will also grow a few.

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1851318 of 1960820
Subject: Re: Sandy Relief Bill & Republican Pork Date: 1/6/2013 4:20 PM

Let me get this straight.
They pass a final bill of $9.7 billion in new aid for victims of Hurricane Sandy
The Senate originally passed a $60 billion for the same
And it is being said that the House republicans are pouring on the pork?

-Bears

Interesting that Southern Republicans quip about $9.7 Billion for Northeastern Recovery but when it comes to Southern Recovery for a Hurricane a couple hundred billion isn't a problem.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/local/gulfcoast/pdfs/budget_la_d...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement