UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58788  
Subject: Sating A Model Date: 9/20/2012 4:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
<<I dated a model during what you might call her "declining" years. I put that in quotes because to a normal person the idea is absurd. Models have a shelf-life of maybe 10 years, 15 if they are lucky. Once a model hits 30, the modeling industry considers her old and used up, and there is no shortage of eager 15- and 26-yearolds from Eastern Europe who are willing to work longer hours, fly more places, and get paid far less. Almost every model in her late 20s (including the woman I dated) begins to worry incessantly (when she isn't worrying about nonexistent eye wrinkles) about how to make herself into a "brand" and transition into being a supermodel, which is pretty much the only postmodeling career available to you in this line of work.

Dating a model is pretty interesting. As a couple and as a man, you are immediately accorded utterly absurd amounts of social consideration. Any time we were out, we'd get special treatment. Not just from service people but just regular people. People would regularly offer to let us cut in front of them in lines at restaurants, grocery stores, even once at the DMV(!) when we happened to go together. Of course we could get into clubs, although this is not as great as it seems because every two-bit wannabe pickup artist would try to chat "us" (really just her) up when we were just there to dance and have a good time with friends. Probably the biggest benefit is that we always stood an extremely good chance of being offered upgrades to first class when flying. Airlines look for well-dressed people to offer first-class upgrades to when seats are open, and dating my girlfriend had led me to up my game in terms of dress so I always wore a jacket and tie when flying, so we were a pretty good-looking couple (well, she was—I was a chump in a nice suit), and we would always get offered the first-class upgrades. And we flew a lot, because my job is pretty portable and she would have shoots all over the world.>>

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2012/09/19/what_is_it_like_...

I figure intercst should consider this as a retirement hobby. He could get free upgrades to First Class when he's jetting about the world and not be stuck in the back in coach.

Seattle Pioneer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45525 of 58788
Subject: Re: Sating A Model Date: 9/20/2012 9:21 AM
Recommendations: 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2MM1BosdmY

Pretty much says it all....

Now....what intercst needs to do is find a retired supermodel who did save and put away the money, and retired at age 30, and loves to travel and go on cruises.....and play golf....

t.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45541 of 58788
Subject: Re: Sating A Model Date: 9/20/2012 11:23 PM
Recommendations: 3
I think anyone very observant realizes fairly early in life that beautiful people live in a different world than most of us. Beautiful young girls, in particular, are often given advantages without even asking. They are believed and trusted and praised and honored and generally doted over by nearly everyone.

It would be nice to experience that world once in awhile, but it's not worth traveling in a jacket and tie. :^)

SG - who has been upgraded to first class only once in his life . . . but that's another story.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45543 of 58788
Subject: Re: Sating A Model Date: 9/21/2012 9:56 AM
"SG - who has been upgraded to first class only once in his life . . . but that's another story. "

The only time I got bumped up to First Class was on an Air Singapore flight from Tokyo to Bangkok.......and it was a 747 and I got a seat right by the upstairs lounge......Nice..... they told me that 'all the seats in coach were full'. Couple hour flight......real metal silverware.....great meal...that was 12 years ago.

That's been the only time I recall..... when I was working, took probably 10 trips a year around the country...all coach....

Haven't been on a plane in 10 years. After I retired, I went on about 10 trips in 3 years.... I did most of my 'bucket list'. Made it to Asia....to Europe 3 times..to Newfoundland.....to HI and AK.....down to Costa Rica twice. To the Caribbean 2 more times. Then I just got burned out on air travel and weeks away from home in foreign land. About 2 weeks on a trip works....much more than that, I don't enjoy it any longer.

t.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45560 of 58788
Subject: Re: Sating A Model Date: 9/22/2012 8:28 AM
Haven't been on a plane in 10 years. After I retired, I went on about 10 trips in 3 years.... I did most of my 'bucket list'. Made it to Asia....to Europe 3 times..to Newfoundland.....to HI and AK.....down to Costa Rica twice. To the Caribbean 2 more times. Then I just got burned out on air travel and weeks away from home in foreign land. About 2 weeks on a trip works....much more than that, I don't enjoy it any longer.

Something we sort of have in common. I am content with my foreign travel to date, although I suppose I'd do a bit more if I were wealthy. I also find traveling from hotel to hotel a bit stressful. But I think I could travel indefinitely via RV. Kind of the best of both worlds...seeing new places, but bringing the comforts of home.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement