Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chipchaffin Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 610  
Subject: Saving United Date: 10/25/2001 7:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I think this is what united should do:

first, they should sell or shutdown their shuttle operation down in the west, which is has been losing it's butt to southwest airlines since the day they started it. they should see if s.w.a. might be interested in buying it or just selling the planes and assets and make a little dough off of that. second, they should convert half of their 747 fleet to freighters and start hauling freight from chicago to hong kong and singapore. freight is a proven money maker. third, they should focus all of their efforts on their chicago, washington, and denver hubs. these are the only real money makers. liquidate the 737/727 fleet no matter how new/old the planes are. use only 757/767/a319s/a320s from these hubs. these are extremely efficient, low-maintenance airplanes. fourth, cut down the 757/767 fleet by 1/4, and start turning around the planes they have after that more quickly and efficiently. fifth, launch more flights and lower fares from tokyo to honolulu and los angeles. tourists love this route and the loads are constantly full. sixth, start launching more european int'l flights from denver. seventh, give the people incentives to fly, such as discounted hotel rooms/rental cars. tout the fact that sky marshals are flying with united. eighth, buy jetblue; i know they are nothing compared to united, but they are young, but proven money maker. i change the name, i would just buy it for some positive money flow. it could be used as a connection to united's international hubs.

that's all i've got,
chip

p.s. maybe more to come...maybe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement