UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Stormyrae Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2675  
Subject: Savings Bonds Date: 7/16/1998 7:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am 13yrs old and most of my savings consist of saving bonds. Should I cash in my savings bonds (about $1500) and invest them in the stock market?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: smacisaa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 287 of 2675
Subject: Re: Savings Bonds Date: 7/17/1998 12:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
<< I am 13yrs old and most of my savings consist of saving bonds. Should I cash in my savings bonds (about $1500) and invest them in the stock market? >>

This depends on what you are looking to do. Depending on whether you are interested in buying a car at age 16, going to college at age 18, or retiring at age 60, your investment choices would be different.

The first thing to do is decide what your goal is. Three years is on the low side for investing in the stock market. Five years is better. If you're in for forty seven years, you should think of nothing other than stocks. Read the articles found on the Young Fools section at http://www.fool.com/FamilyFool/1998/FamilyCollection980325.htm to see why.

If you decide that your money is for the short term and should not be in stocks, than Savings Bonds are a good place for them. However, if you have the time, you should enter the stock market. Reading the 13 steps is the best place to start. It is located at http://www.fool.com/School/13Steps/13Steps.htm.

Hope this helped.

Sean

Author: Stormyrae Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 289 of 2675
Subject: Re: Savings Bonds Date: 7/17/1998 12:34 PM
Thanks for your answer Sean. I am trying to read all of these things, but most of it I do not understand. I guess I will just have to wait until I get old enough to understand what everything means. Thanks again Sean.

Author: Mattei999 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 291 of 2675
Subject: Re: Savings Bonds Date: 7/18/1998 12:01 AM
I started investing when I was your age, Sonny. Actually, that was a year ago, I am 14. I got a job and made my first investments in large, safe companies of the DJIA, such as DIS. I have moved on to more speculative small caps, but only after reading and learning on my own, every day. I enjoy the Wall Street Journal, it is very informative and actually "teaches" you as you read. CNBC is also a big help.
Best regards,
Bryan Mattei
Mattei999@aol.com

Author: sam4d Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 293 of 2675
Subject: Re: Savings Bonds Date: 7/18/1998 9:38 PM
StormyRae
Knowledge is not necessarily a function of age. Read through the 13 steps on the Fool web site. You can then look at the portfolios to see some analysis and then read boards and ask questions. It will never come to you without effort so start now and be ahead of the game.
Stan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement