Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: c0ffeen0te Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25143  
Subject: Re: 2nd quarter earnings Date: 7/31/2012 4:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
sbux price drop is buying opportunity

Maybe yes maybe no, normally there's a reason for a drop like this. I thought sbux was priced to perfection at 50 (in some long ago post I explained why), sold, and promptly watched it go to 61...ouch, 22% up! But perfection is hard to sustain and the past two quarters, we saw
- same store sales increase down to 7% in both quarters -- not bad but not perfection when previous three quarters were 9, 9, and 8. SSS in next few quarters will therefore have very tough baseline to overcome.
- Gross margin right around 56% (56.2 and 55.8), continuing a steady decline since the peak of 59.5 in the quarter ending 1/3/2011
- Negative free cash flow in quarter ending 4/1/12 (don't have latest quarter's cash)...this is partly seasonal and its less negative than year ago, but two years ago was positive. "Less negative" is not perfection.

At some point I may look to get back in but I would like to see a turn around in margin performance and I am worried about further reductions in same store sale growth given the economic headwinds. Also watching cash as always. Not quite yet. I have already proven I can't call the top and I know I can't call the bottom, so i'm watching for signs that could be omens.

For anybody out there who bought in the upper 50's, be careful. The legendary trader Paul Tudor Jones has a sign over his desk to remind himself that "Losers average Losers." I have done it more often then i care to admit (i'm not wrong, the market's wrong) and usually it ends in tears.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement