Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445691  
Subject: Scalia makes it easy Date: 10/6/2012 4:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 55
Among these insights was that it’s easy to figure out what the Constitution demands, and that any idiot could correctly decide the most controversial cases. Sounding more like The Onion than a conservative intellectual, he said:

“The death penalty? Give me a break. It’s easy. Abortion? Absolutely easy. Nobody ever thought the Constitution prevented restrictions on abortion. Homosexual sodomy? Come on. For 200 years, it was criminal in every state.”

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/everything-yo...

Heck, no need to even think about it, which pretty much sums up Scalia. How did he ever get a reputation as a thinker?

A little more:

Consider his dissent in Lawrence v. Texas, which struck down the state sodomy laws he finds so obviously acceptable under the Constitution. He said Americans have every right to enforce “the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct” in order to protect “themselves and their families from a lifestyle that they believe to be immoral and destructive.”

In that dissent, he argued that sodomy laws don’t violate the equal protection clause. He’s also argued that laws discriminating against women don’t violate the equal protection clause. Yet in Bush v. Gore, he signed on to the idea that the Florida recount–you guessed it–violated the equal protection clause.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410500 of 445691
Subject: Re: Scalia makes it easy Date: 10/6/2012 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 5
Scalia law = Sharia law

PF

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410501 of 445691
Subject: Re: Scalia makes it easy Date: 10/6/2012 5:38 PM
Recommendations: 9
Slavery? C'mon...easy...it was legal for 100 years.

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410502 of 445691
Subject: Re: Scalia makes it easy Date: 10/6/2012 6:00 PM
Recommendations: 5
Scalia is amongst the filthiest of the filth. Expect several more just like him, if not worse, if romney is elected.

Wessex

Author: kenora Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410515 of 445691
Subject: Re: Scalia makes it easy Date: 10/7/2012 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 0
I guess he stopped thinking in 1776. Hey - we should reinstate slavery!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement