Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rughetta Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2385  
Subject: Scary Observation Date: 2/10/2006 1:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Did anyone else notice the drop in share price in the few hours just preceding the earnings press release and conference call? I noticed a similar phenomenon just prior to the earnings press releases for Whole Foods (WFMI) and J2 Global Communications (JCOM). Adding fuel to the fire, I also saw a rise in share price for Corporate Executive Board (EXBD) just prior to its very positive earnings press release. I saw QSII dropping through part of the day and wondered if I should sell and re-enter after the carnage but I resisted the temptation because I wasn't sure if the move meant anything (I would have kicked myself if I was not invested if positive earnings were reported). Point is, was the price drop due to prior knowledge of an earnings miss or was it due to a jittery market that flushes when you say BOO!? It seems too coincidental that price drops preceding three earnings misses and a price rise preceding a positive earnings report could be just due to speculation. Statistically, that situation should have a 0.0625 chance of occurring randomly (0.5^4 = 0.0625). Is there a lot of "insider" trading prior to an earnings report and should we heed those signals to avoid a drubbing?

I don't intend to act on any pre earnings release movements, yet, but I just want to get others' opinions regarding this observation.

CAVU,

Rughetta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement