Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
So, observation:

I started running again back in November - very inconsistent at first, scared of my shins and trying to get into something like a groove. I struggled to maintain consistency; about the only time I consistently have available is pre-dawn, so I started setting the alarm for 5am. As it does, it became harder and harder to fight the urge to turn the damn thing off and go back to sleep. Until...

A few weeks ago I built a schedule. Essentially I went out for the next year, with registered-for races and target races identified, and every day mapped out in terms of what my mileage needs to be. Every day, for a whole year. I can tell you what I'm planning to run on the second Sunday in October, for example. That kind of thing.

Holy crap has that made it easier. Goals set, plan set - the hard choices have already been made. My new mantra is "read the calendar, run the miles". I know there will be a need for flexibility, but yikes I wish I'd done this weeks before. I don't know how everybody else does it, but this method has certainly worked for me.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement