Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TuJeste One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121426  
Subject: Schedule C - Charitable Donation or Advertizing Date: 2/8/2001 12:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife is a Personal Fitness Trainer and runs a small Schedule C company.

She donated a certificate for 3 PFT sessions to a local charity - this was "sold" at a silent auction.

Question - is this Advertising for the Schedule C company, or is it a personal charitable deduction (or indeed something else)?

Thanks
Tu Jeste
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JFour Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45972 of 121426
Subject: Re: Schedule C - Charitable Donation or Advertiz Date: 2/8/2001 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
My wife is a Personal Fitness Trainer and runs a small Schedule C company.

She donated a certificate for 3 PFT sessions to a local charity - this was "sold" at a silent auction.

Question - is this Advertising for the Schedule C company, or is it a personal charitable deduction (or indeed something else)?

Thanks
Tu Jeste<i/>

Tu Jeste

The answer is, is not really either. Donation of personal services is non-deductible. The cost of any product used during the 3 sessions would be deductible as advertising (ex free towels, exercise logs, water bottle, etc).

Good for you for donating your time and energy to the charity!

Jim

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45973 of 121426
Subject: Re: Schedule C - Charitable Donation or Advertiz Date: 2/8/2001 1:23 PM
It is nothing. You cannot deduct the value of the time which you provide to a charity. Similarly, if there was no money changing hands (from the company to the charity), it can't be advertising (again, no value).

If your wife's company has employees, and the employees actually provide the 3 sessions, you could make a rhetorical argument that you were donating the wages for the 3 sessions. But since the wages are already a deductible expense of the business, the point is moot.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement