Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Besides her regular, full-time job, my wife also teaches cooking classes at local community education centers. She has also just started teaching private classes at our home. This leads me to two tax questions...

1) What code should I use when filling out schedule C-EZ for her business? I used 611000 last year (education), but noticed this year that 722300 (special food services) might also be appropriate. Any thoughts on how to choose? How important is it that I get this right?

2) Now that she's starting to teach at home, I assume we'll have to do some sort of expensing of our home. So far, it looks like the use will be very limited---about one 3-hour class per month. And, the actual class only happens in the kitchen & dining room---about 1/3 of our home. Is there any minimum usage requirement for expensing? My back-of-the-envelope says that our home will be used appx. 0.14% for business. Is that so small that it falls below some tax threshold?

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.