Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi there,

I have a regular job and on the side I edited a few chapters in a book.

Question 1) That "on the side income" is reported as self employed income on schedule C, correct?

Question 2) Can I buy a computer and a PDA and deduct them right off the top of the self employed income?

Example: I made $6,000 doing the editing. I buy a $2,000 computer and a $500 PDA. Does that mean I only pay taxes on $3,500 worth of self employed income come April?

Thanks so much!!!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.