Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I filed for an extension -- but I noticed something new among the tax forms for this year -- Schedule L. If I understand this right, we must use Schedule L if we don't itemize on Schedule A, but also have some made a property tax payment in 2009. But then, I think, we're not allowed to take the standard deduction. Sounds to me that we come out worse with the new Schedule L.

We've paid off our mortgage, so we've stopped itemizing (since the absence of any mortgage interest payment doesn't make it worthwhile anymore). We've been taking the standard deduction. And we pay property tax. Do we have to file Schedule L and give up the standard deduction -- and am I right that this means we'll end up owing more tax?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.