UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308688  
Subject: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/4/2002 6:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Ok.. put up or shut up.

I am ready to put it up. Admission papers are enroute. Drivers for EPSON printers are enroute. School is decided upon. School is not PITA but for the fact it's in Delaware which is not a serious problem.

222 dollars a credit hour.

I need about 100 hours. Let me do the math..

22K?

I am out of hats to pull that kind of money out of and I sure don't have that on CapOne.

Now where are all my supporters who said.. "Go to school.. Wild?"

Please don't hurt me by saying I may have to put the Florida trip on hold for the 50th birthday party!

The angst!

wild :)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: criscarson Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128972 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/4/2002 7:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wild;;

Have you considered financial aid?

-criscarson-

Author: fredinseoul Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128974 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/4/2002 7:13 PM
Recommendations: 5
Wild,

There is financial aid around. Check out the school's financial aid office.

Another place to look into is the library. There is a whole industry that is set up to help you get moneyl. Pattersons has a whole series of books about scholarships and grants. There are many others.

Check out the local civic groups. They often offer scholarships. Same thing with private organizations and church groups.

You could sell your b. . . wait, you do that already.

Pell grants are probably in your future. If your only income is from waitressing, you should qualify. There are also heritage groups that give out grants. Check your heritage.

You might run by the high school and ask the counselor if he/she can offer advice.

Lots o' places to look.

fredinseoul
helping people fund college since 1902

Author: PsycDoc One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128984 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/4/2002 7:41 PM
Recommendations: 9
Wild, here are a few sites which I hope will be helpful:

-- http://www.finaid.org -- This site was created by an individual, Mark Kantrowitz (sp?), rather than a corporation (or a loanshark, lol) and has received positive reviews in the mainstream press with respect to the information it contains.

-- http://www.amsa.org/resource/amsarc/creative/nontrad.cfm -- The American Medical Student Association (AMSA) maintains this list of non-traditional funding source possibilities that may spark some creative searching at your end. You don't have to be a medical student to make use of this site, obviously, lol -- some really good info there.

-- http://www.petersons.com -- Peterson's Education Center publishes helpful books and directories regarding aid of all types.

-- http://www.collegeboard.org -- Although oriented to younger college students, there's still some excellent information here regarding traditional and non-traditional funding sources.

-- http://www.edinfo.org -- Higher Education Resource Center (HEIC). Although oriented to Boston, there's still a lot of excellent information here to look over related to funding your higher ed goals.

Hope this is helpful as a starting place at least.

Doc

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128991 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/4/2002 7:56 PM
EXcellent..

The Commonwealth of PA will frown on me carpetbagging to Delaware for school and offer me NOTHING!

Thanks!
wild :)

Author: sturne01 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129067 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/5/2002 9:15 AM
Wild:

Check out scholorships...heard of one for single, older (or is that old), women returning to school. Also check out local service clubs in your area; in may cases they have annual scholorships.

Good luck with your schooling.

Now back under my rock

Spence

Author: Kilbia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129071 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/5/2002 9:24 AM
Wild,

Depending on your choice of majors, there are some scholarships designated especially for women in certain age brackets who are returning to school. Many of the ones I remember had to do with business or computer science, but I'm sure there are some for whatever you choose to do, too.

Also, I don't have any info handy on this, but you might look into the American Association of University Women (AAUW) - I don't recall if they actually have any scholarships or if they're more of a resource for finding them, though.

And don't forget, student loans are actually some of the softest debt you could ever hope to acquire. If you qualify for subsidized loans, you don't pay interest while you're in school.

But yes. Your first step ought to be grabbing a copy of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and filling it out. See if you qualify for any Pell Grants or other grants, since that is free money. Mind you, you need to get the form from the official website - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ - I heard rumor a semester or two ago that there is some other website like fafsa.org which charges you for the privilege of letting them fill out and file the form for you.

- Kilbia

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129088 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/5/2002 11:25 AM

I am out of hats to pull that kind of money out of and I sure don't have that on CapOne.

Now where are all my supporters who said.. "Go to school.. Wild?"

Please don't hurt me by saying I may have to put the Florida trip on hold for the 50th birthday party!

The angst!

Did you submit your FAFSA????

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Submit it NOW. This is what you need for all forms of financial aid.

Ishtar
(did mine last week; come on, girl, I'm not doing this alone!!)

Author: Ralphieda Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129193 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/5/2002 6:22 PM
I just saw a little thingy about TMF School Center (?) in the TMF news letter. I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet, but you might be ble to find info on financial aid there.

I was going to suggest you go to fafsa.com, but I just checked it out and I noticed some crazy fees...I don't remember fees when I used it...maybe there is a "free" fafsa hidden someplace.

Hope it helps!
R

I'm still looking for one more thing, I can't remember what it is, but as soon as I find it I'll post it!

Author: Topaz12 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129234 of 308688
Subject: Re: School Showtime.. OT Date: 6/6/2002 1:13 AM
>Now where are all my supporters who said.. "Go to school..
>Wild?"

GO TO SCHOOL WILD !!!!

Okay, I shouldn't have shouted but...what we need is the Wild Scholarship Fund. Anyone got a couple thou lying around?

(waits for the hysterical laughter to die down)

It's okay to put off the Florida trip, education lasts forever. :-)

Topaz12

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement