Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I'd like to talk about Schwab and why I think it's so attractive, but first read Tilson's report about Etrade.

http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2002/foth020904.htm

A famous saying attributed to Rothschild about making money is “Buy Expensive when everything is cheap, and sell cheap when everything is expensive.” Aside from being a recommendation for contrarian thinking, my interpretation is: buy top quality when everything is cheap, and sell quickly when the market is high, don't wait for a top. Now if we could all be this smart…

Now for Schwab. Let's imagine for a minute that the market for soda companies was oversold and suddenly an investor could buy all kinds of beverage companies on the cheap. Even at that environment I would expect Coke to sell at a higher valuation than its peers because of its superior brand and solid management. I'd rather buy Coke in an oversold market for soda companies, then a second tier company that might be selling for much cheaper. It seems to me that E-Trade is the second tier broker and Schwab is the leader. It's evident from the prices they charge. A trade at Schwab is $30, while at E-trade it's $20. After all, a trade is a trade. Still, Schwab is able to charge a lot more for the same exact product. Assuming the cost for a trade is similar, Schwab is making much more money.

Company ET SCH AMTD

Share price $4.30 $8.57 $3.40
Market cap ($B) $1.6 $11.7 $0.74
Book value/share $4.14 $3.14 $1.77
Tangible BV/share $2.78 $2.69 $0.69
Price/BV 1.0x 2.7x 1.9x
Price/Tang BV 1.5x 3.2x 4.9x
P/E ('02 est.) 9.6x 26.0x 34.0x
P/E ('03 est.) 6.8x 19.0x 11.0x

This is Tilson's numbers. (Meanwhile, SCH is up to $10!!). I can see Tilson's point about ET's undervaluation but In my mind, although E-trade is cheaper I have less confidence about their management. They might squander shareholder value. I also think Schwab looks especially good considering the big Wall Street brokers are in trouble with many forms of double dealing. I believe Schwab can profit from the fallout of large customers.

In short, SCH is the Coke in this scenario. Buy Expensive when everything is cheap.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement