UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BirkChick One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76089  
Subject: Re: How should I fund my Roth? Date: 2/27/2004 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Schweet. Where were you when I was looking for a wife?

Probably dating a moron! Hehe. (Luckily, I came to my senses and kicked the moron out of my life and now have a fabulous BF!)

The only thing to consider, and I might be in the minority on this, is that if you want to hide money from the financial aid calculations, you could use it to pay down (or off) your student loans. I know they're considered "good debt" by some, but debt is still debt, and there's not many ways to totally wax 3.125% in returns, such that that money could be considered safely better-spent (though many might argue that point as well).

I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but I am expecting an inheritance this year when my grandmother passes. Now, I would rather be bankrupt than lose my grandmother. But, she is terminally ill and has already outlived the doctor's expectations. I am expecting to receive about 40K from her estate, and with that money I am going to pay off the student loans and purchase my leased car. She's a very financially savvy woman (I think she's been subscribed to ValueLine since before I was born!) and I think it would make her proud if I used my inheritance in that manner.

Thanks for your comments!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement