Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Here is a quiz on how much science adults know.
Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct.
See how you do?

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm smarter than I thought I was: 12 out of 13 correct. I missed the one about the laser.
A good portion of the population of the United States doesn't even know the name of the Vice President!
Now that's something to think about!
As far as science goes, an old friend of mine was a math and science genius yet she ended up being a stay at home mom and was happier
taking care of her children because that became her priority.
No. of Recommendations: 2
12 out of 13. Stupid Nitrogen...

cm,
liberal arts major :-)
12 out of 13, got my age wrong!
I'm not a science wiz so I surprised myself by getting 10 out of the 13 correct.

WOOT!

Utahtea
I am shocked, and I mean shocked. I got 12 out of 13. Unbelievable!!!

Donna (who does not have a brain geared toward science, but reads a lot)
I got 11 out of 13. Not sure which ones I missed. But I did get my age group right??
Haven't read any of the replies but I got 9 of 13 correct. Nothing to be very proud of. It's been a long, long time.

You scored better than 52% of the public, below 37% and the same as 11%.

Robyn
No. of Recommendations: 1
I got all 13. Some are not so much "science" as general information.

CNC
I got all 13 but I am a bit of a science nerd.

Question 12 of 13
What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise?

Carbon dioxide
Hydrogen
Helium
Radon

I answered CO2 knowing that is what they were looking for but the correct answer (water vapor) is not among the choices offered. You could also argue hydrogen is the most responsible since that is what the sun is using for fuel to heat our entire solar system including earths atmosphere.
No. of Recommendations: 5
easy...

got 13 out of 13 and didn't strain a brain cell.

There's got to be lots of science ignorant folks out there.....

then again, most Americans now get their news from the Comedy Channel....and haven't seen a program on science in 10 years.

They get their 'science' from the loonie lefties screaming about polar
bears and killer hurricanes , demanding trillions in 'carbon taxes' to line the pockets of tycoons and 3rd world tyrants.... and buy into
the 'global warming hype'. That's all the science (bad science) they get these days, unfortunately.

t.
Got all 13. Not a difficult test. Now I'm part of the 7% as well as the 47%.
13 of 13.
No. of Recommendations: 7
got 13 out of 13 and didn't strain a brain cell

ditto (my last science class was Chem 101 my freshman year)

There's got to be lots of science ignorant folks out there…..

Yep. Too many students pay too little attention (learning disabilities, distracted, not academically oriented, dropped out or checked out mentally, forgot everything once the test is over). And too many adults never read about anything more important than sports, TV or celebrity nooz.

then again, most Americans now get their news from the Comedy Channel....and haven't seen a program on science in 10 years.

More people get their news from Fox than any other TV source, but even more people get their news not at all or online. Of course, that can mean anything from righty/lefty blogs to the NYTimes, Fox online, even TMF.

They get their 'science' from the loonie lefties screaming

I think your paranoia is showing. When 97% of the public believes 97% of climate scientists, I'll agree the public is largely tuned in to "lefty" news ;-)
More people get their news from Fox than any other TV source, but even more people get their news not at all or online. Of course, that can mean anything from righty/lefty blogs to the NYTimes, Fox online, even TMF.

I know people who make their investment decisions based on the "news" they get from Fox. Gasp!!

Personally I regard it as politically biased tabloid journalism at best.

But then again, Fox now owns the Wall Street Journal. Editor was on Charlie Rose this week saying Murdock is a global newspaper investor and owns a full range of media outlets to include the Time of London and the Sunday Times.

They are very much into content honed for the target audience.
I will be sure to respond like many others I suspect aren't as science savvy as a few who posted. I won't divulge the truth of being less than excellent in my answers or I won't post. I could always lie to feel a part of the upper 1%. My strengths don't dwell in the sciences but I do have many excellent qualities. I thought it would be fun to take the test just for the heck of it.

I will continue to read this board and post from time to time. There are a lot of things to learn and prepare for.

Robyn
Robyn, thank you for posting. Many of those answers were gleaned by me from reading USA Today, msn.com, and other media outlets. I was never scientifically or mathematically oriented. However, I do read a LOT, and fortunately, for my age, able to retain the information I have read.

Donna
I could always lie to feel a part of the upper 1%.

Ah, but if you lied, you wouldn't feel it. Besides, we're just phantoms of the interwebs, no need to puff up for us! (WEll, I've met Donna405, lindytoes, and Goofyhoofy in real life, so they aren't phantoms ;-)

The fact that I aced this test doesn't put me in the top 1%--far from it (our HH income is not even in the top quintile--and I was raised on less than median income by parents who didn't go to college). I'm in the top 1% by IQ, but what does that really mean? That I can ace tests like this! My father had a genius-level IQ but knew very little about science--just not interested. But he was a fount of knowledge about the English language and classical music and the news (he read 4 newspapers).

I retain some of what I read. I remember that 'laser' is an acronym for 'light amplified or amplification something something something.' And that ~4/5 of our atmosphere is nitrogen--because that seemed so strange when I first learned it. I remember that red blood cells carry oxygen because it's interesting and seems important and even practical. Kind of explains why it's good to stop heavy bleeding.
13 of 13 correct - but gee this is not exactly a general science
questionnaire.

Howie52
"I answered CO2 knowing that is what they were looking for but the correct answer (water vapor) is not among the choices offered. "
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Multiple choice testing - this skill is something taught very effectively
in public schools.
There is probably more practice in test taking than in most actual
courses.

Howie52
With regard to test taking, some of us are not good at it.
Daughter did not do spectacularly on SAT's yet her IQ is in the top 1%. Same with my other child. Both very successful.
I'm 65 years old and spent most of my life raising my kids. If you want to give me a title, how about "domestic engineer" which seemed to work for Roseanne Barr!
In our family having a "work ethic" was more valuable in the long run than how well we did on tests.
My hats off to all of you who took this test. It shows a lot of confidence!
PS: I did take the little Mensa test and the results showed that I was a good candidate for taking the big Mensa test. No way. No how.
I quit while I was ahead!
13 out of 13.

I was expecting a harder test. A 10th grader should be able to get all 13 right.

Churchy
Advertisement