Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

We have had a SAR/SEP at my company for 5 years. You really only have to fill out a one page IRS form, which you keep on file. You generally have to provide a trustee (like a mutual fund company) a copy of the document, but you do not have to file this document with the IRS.

But allow me to suggest something different: a SIMPLE IRA. SIRA's are new - coming into existence something like 2 years ago. They address a real limitation of the SEP - namely that owner's contributions are limited by the average contribution of non-owners.

If you don't have any employees, it is not that big of a deal, and you may be able to contribute more with a SAR/SEP. But for us - the SIRA is great. Our SAR/SEP dies in two weeks and our SIRA is born.

As far as researching this stuff, just enter in some of keywords in some internet search engines. You will find that the bix six acctg firms, and numerous other advisors, mutuals, etc, have pages which describe the various plans.

Good luck.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.