UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kingmaddmaxx Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76398  
Subject: Scottrade IRA, Which Fund? Date: 1/10/2005 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Everyone,
I recently moved my IRA money stashed at my bank into a Scottrade account and would like to invest it in an NTF no load fund that tracks the S&P 500, do you have any suggestions. I'm specifically looking for help from Scottrade people, since after the first of the Newy Year it appears a lot of my otpions in the NTF category went away, that includes the Vanguard family of funds which had been what was drawing me to Scottrade to begin with. I'd like to minimize any fees and expenses associated with this. Any other fund type suggestion is also appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43962 of 76398
Subject: Re: Scottrade IRA, Which Fund? Date: 1/10/2005 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I haven't looked at the new NTF list from Scottrade but I would be inclined to go into the Vanguard 500 (or Total Stock Market) fund even with the new purchase fee. You might look at the funds on the NTF list to see if there are any funds with low expenses that might compare with a Vanguard fund.

Bob

Author: SisypheanFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43963 of 76398
Subject: Re: Scottrade IRA, Which Fund? Date: 1/10/2005 3:31 PM
I recently moved my IRA money stashed at my bank into a Scottrade account and would like to invest it in an NTF no load fund that tracks the S&P 500, do you have any suggestions

Why not buy SPDR?
Not so cool for dripping in money, but it'll work for a bulk investment for a single trade fee.

Heck, in my VG acct, I bought the ETF, EEM, instead of thier Emerg'g Mkt fund. It worked out cheaper than the funds front/back loads.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43964 of 76398
Subject: Re: Scottrade IRA, Which Fund? Date: 1/10/2005 3:32 PM
There's a Dreyfus S&P 500 index fund with reasonable expenses that is still NTF at Scottrade -- not as low as Vanguard's, but pretty low. If you have at least $10,000 for it you can get into a Dreyfus index with a 0.20% expense (VFINX is 0.18% last I checked). For less than $10,000 the Dreyfus index fund has a 0.25% expense ratio.

Look at how much money you'd be moving and determine how long it would take before the slightly lower expenses of the Vanguard fund would save you the $17 you pay to trade it. The shorter that payback time is, of course, the better the option of eating the transaction fee and sticking with VFINX would look.

Author: iamdb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43966 of 76398
Subject: Re: Scottrade IRA, Which Fund? Date: 1/10/2005 9:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
Why stay at Scottrade?

db

Author: NHDad920 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43970 of 76398
Subject: Re: Scottrade IRA, Which Fund? Date: 1/11/2005 12:59 PM
Fidelity Spartan 500 Index is excellent. I don't use Scottrade so I don't know if thats NTF there.

I'm pretty new to TMF but it seems that suggesting a Fidelity fund is blasphemous based on some of the posts I've seen but VFINX and FSMKX are practically identical. I wouldn't bother with the Dreyfuss fund, the expense ratio is high. The .25% ziggy mentioned is just the management fee, there's also a .25% 12b-1 fee on top of that. Not to mention that despite tracking the same index PEOPX lags VFINX and FSMKX in performance.

Author: preben Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43971 of 76398
Subject: Re: Scottrade IRA, Which Fund? Date: 1/11/2005 1:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
I would buy the ETF VTI (total US stock market) with 0.15% e/r for $7.
Why stick to the SP500 when you can get the rest of the market included (30% of the total) practically automatically in 1 trade? Cheers, Ben

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement