Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The original post quoted

<<< Secondly, he (Bill Gates) said Windows NT, the company's corporate computer operating system, was the first commercial software system developed from scratch. >>>

I interpreted this as how the whole system currently on my desktop here - NT 4.0 Workstation with Service Patch 3 - was developed from scratch. Developed is construction of the whole, which includes all the software bits and pieces that landed on my disk when I hit the button on the installer.

Now if instead one wants to restrict "NT" to the original kernel and a much tighter set of the software specific to the original (pre-shipping) era, and one wants to say design instead of developed, then I guess there I am no longer sure if the statement is accurate relative to NT. It may well be. And I would scratch some of my original response posting.

However "the first" is not only wrong - I know it is wrong - but it is something that Bill must know is wrong, given he has been around the industry as long as I have.

I return to my main point. Microsoft is not looked to for innovation. It is looked to for safe, predictable, adequate apps and platforms. It may be fun to have something new, and occasionally that new thing may be revolutionary in its ability to improve how you work (or play). But almost as often the new thing has problems. Especially in the software application field, "new" and "innovative" have become near synonymous with "uncertain utility" and "problematic".

Microsoft is where you are unlikely to get any of those problems. They strive to be the regular stuff, divorced from the surprises and problems associated with other products. When something new looks truely useful, Microsoft leaps to incorporate it.

This is a good thing. I respect it. I use it. It is why they are successful (in part), why I own stock, and why I am on this board from time to time.

The one aspect of Microsoft that I have lost respect for is some of the attempts by Bill Gates to cast himself as a technology guru. He is a smart guy and a deadly business man. But he is neither an innovator nor a visionary. So when something like that posting appears ... well, I lose a bit more respect.

I hope that that lack of respect for Bill, in this area, does not leak over to the Microsofties.

Mr T
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement