3) Price > 52-week high x 0.9
4) Average 10-day volume > 0.05 x Average 3-month volume
5) 52-week return > 50
6) Sort by high 4-week return

The stock screen can be generated with TC2000 with the following formulas
1. Define a PCF for 1 yr % price change (say 0-RS52): 100 * (C - C250) / C250
2. Define a PCF for volume growth (say 0-vol10av>.05*3moAv):
(AVGV10) > .05 * 21 * (AVGV63)
3. Define a PCF for 4 week price change (say 0-RS19d) as 19 days matches the results generated by Multex Investor screening tool at marketguide.com.
4. Generate a scan:
Capitalization value 102 to max (this is as close as I can get to 100)
0-RS52 value 48.9 to max
0-vol10av>.05*3moAv
Price as Percent of 52 Week High-H value 89.9 to Max
Price per share-H value 4.85 to Max
5. Sort the scan on 0-RS19d

For closing prices Wed 5/14/03 I get the same results with TC2000 and with marketguide.com:

USG, TPTH, WWCA, PTRY, OSTE, SSYS, EBKR, TREE, MTLG, APPX

But with TC2000 I can quickly look at the charts or play with other TA tools.

- foolsmith
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Can you explain your use of (0-RS52)? I don't see RS52 available on TC2000. Relative Strength? Relative to what?
Thanks for your question and sorry for the confustion. I should have use the built-in formula "1-year percent change in closing price" for RS52 and you can read my remarks with that substitution.

I will answer in more detail than you need in case others are reading this and may need the details.

The term "relative strength" is used in the Foolish Workshop and the Mechanical Investing board to refer to price strength (percent price change) over a fixed period of time. The definition of 0-RS52 is 100 * (C - C250) / C250. This is my personal notation (I use 0- if front names of PCFs that I define, so that these personal formulas appear on the top of the list of formulas before the built-in formulas). If you sort a watch list on 0-RS52 then the strongest stocks will be at the top of the list so what your are seeing is strength relative to the other stocks in your watch list.

RS52 refers to a period of 52 weeks or 250 market days, and RS19d refers to 19 days. (I should normally use 20 days for 4 weeks, and call it RS4, but the market was closed for Easter, so there were only 19 market days in the example I used. C is today's closing price, and C250 is the closing price 250 days ago. So 100*(C-C250)/C250 is the percent change in price of a stock in 52 weeks. Thewre is no built-in formula for the 4-week strength RS4, so I would use 0-RS4 defined as 100*(C-C20)/C20.
I am very fond of TC2000. You can sort any watch list such as the S&P 500 by 0-RS4 and find the 5 stocks in that list that have gone up in price the most in the last 4 weeks and then examine their charts with various built-in tools.
- foolsmith
Your forumla appears to make sense and be compatible with the marketguide formula, but in comparing the results between TC2000 and multexinvestor I see some discrepencies.

Here's the formula I use on http://www.multexinvestor.com/ with data updated as of Friday June 13th.
01 Select Company List US Companies
02 {Price}>5
03 {MktCap}>100
04 {Price}>.9*{PriceH}
05 {Vol10DAvg}>.05*{Vol3MAvg}
06 {Pr52W%Chg}>50
07 {Pr4W%Chg}>0

Then sorting by 4 week change
Here are the stocks I get:
1. SCOX
2. HEPH
3. XING
4. POZN
5. PVIS

On TC2000 - similar.. but not quite -
I get
1. SCOX
2. HEPH - so far so good
3. POZN - ? What happened to XING? Different captilization.
4. DSCO
5. DNA

So.. I drilled down on some of the criteria to see why there are differences.

XING has a capitalization of 78 on TC2000, (drops of the list).. but
a capitalization of 173.15 on multex. Any idea why?
That explains 1-4.

DSCO is actually #6 on multex rather than #4. So why is there PVIS?
PVIS doesn't show up at all on TC2000.
It looks like PVIS is really PVIS.OB according to yahoo, and looks like an over the counter stock. So what to do about that? TC2000 doesn't list OTC stocks. Are they a vital part of new high screamers?

So there are some differences, but capitalization? How can there be such disagreement about that?

Thanks,
Dc.
I have no idea why TC2000 listed the cap for XING at 78 on June 13. It is given as 151 today (6/26). Assuming that there was no change in the number of shares outstanding, the price would have to double for the cap to double, but the price hasn't changed that much. You might compare the cap on different days for a volatile stock to see if multexinvestor and TC2000 recalculate the cap every day. All of the financial data is subject to error of course.

As far as PVIS is concerned, the Yahoo symbol PVIS.OB tells us that it is not listed on NASDAQ but on the OTC bulletin board. TC2000 lists all stocks that are traded on NYSE, AMEX, and NASDAQ, but not OTC stocks that NASDAQ does not list. In other words, some OTC stocks are listed on NASDAQ (TC2000 includes all of these and calls them OTC stocks) and the rest of the OTC stocks do not qualify for NASDAQ and TC2000 does not list them, and Yahoo calls them *.OB stocks.

I personally prefer not to invest in stocks that TC2000 does not list, but do not know what DrBob2 would do. You can ask him on the MI board if you wish.

By the way, thanks for your question. I was not aware of the meaning of OB at Yahoo and did not fully understand why Multexinvestor differed from TC2000 until I sat down and read up on all of this.

- foolsmith
Advertisement