UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: avalone Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1458  
Subject: SE from the yahoo board Date: 2/24/2004 4:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What say you Tom and Dave?

7-Eleven's Human Resouce Failure
by: really_just_a_normal_guy (M/Virginia)
Long-Term Sentiment: Strong Sell 02/18/04 12:17 am
Msg: 3932 of 3940

As an out placed middle manager from two top 100 Fortune companies, I've worked as a sales associate in a local 7-Eleven for the last four years. I have to say this is the worst run company I've had any experience with. And this is particularly in regard to human resource management. As the labor market tightens as employment improves – immigration policy changes to subtract much of the lower skill work pool, and other economic factors reduce the attraction of low wage service jobs – 7-Eleven may find that it's inattention to the needs and values of its employees will leave them with a very disloyal and disenchanted work force.

Our store is near a Sheetz that is effectively competing for out customer base. And their employment policies are much more enlightened. Similarly for local Wawas.

7-Eleven's aging stores and worn marketing is less and less competitive.

Our local management is brusque, inconsistent, uninspired. The result is negative reinforcement, management by threat, and lack of training and coaching of employees.

I have an MBA, decades of marketing and business consulting experience, and have even run my own company. Yet I have a manager who hasn't spoken to me in two years after a criticism I made in an open meeting. I have had no formal training from 7-Eleven since my initial hire. And only in the last month was given any opportunity for advancement. Two employees who were fired from our store for questionable reasons were hired by neighboring Sheetz and have since been promoted to manger positions.

Unless human resource policy, which must exist in theory at the top of 7-Eleven, percolates down to the sales associate at the counter, then 7-Eleven will fall far short in capturing the value of its employee resources and will continue to be a revolving door for transient low-level service workers.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement