UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Search is now missing Date: 11/16/2008 5:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Jeremy I was going to try a sliding "and" search in term names to find all the ampersand cases, but now it seems all we have is TMFs main search function and no way to search terms or posted definitions.

The weaknesses of TMF Search function is notorious. At least Wiki used to have quite efficient search functions for key words in text and term names.

At present the only way to find a term is to plow through the whole alphabetic list. Can I say that is a bit cumbersome.

1. Bring back Wiki search functions.

2. Work improving TMF search.

Or did I miss some key feature.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 476 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 10:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Paul, are you using the generic search box at the top... or the search function in the left navigation bar a little way's down. Using the latter, I get our Wiki search as normal. (But I may be misunderstanding your question.)

Thanks for your great work. --David

Author: Har1en Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 477 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 12:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't see the search in the left hand navbar, either. There's a search on the page list area, but it only takes you to a page with the same name, not pulling up the pages with references etc. that it used to.

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 478 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 3:27 PM
Ditto for me as well, the only way I get the wiki search is if I click on the phrase "search for this page title " on the main page.

I don't see the wiki search anywhere in the left nav.

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 479 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 3:28 PM
Paul here's a workaround.
use this link to get to wiki search

http://wiki.fool.com/Special:Search/

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 480 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 4:07 PM
Thanks, TastyLunch. Your work around works fine.

I can now find Search on the Special or Special Pages list under views.

But you do have to know where to look.

Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 481 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 4:39 PM
I was just talking with Jeremy about this.

I think you all may need either:

(a) to hit REFRESH on your browser on the main page of the Wiki, or
(b) to log out of our site and then log back in

I think it has to do with refreshing your cache.

You should see a new look to the Wiki, including a search box in the left-nav, etc.

Lemme know if that doesn't work.

Fool on!

--David

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 482 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 4:42 PM
just tried both ways (refreshed cache, logged out and back in) , still didn't work

I use the latest Mozilla Firefox if that helps Jeremy narrow it down.

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 483 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 4:44 PM
I can now find Search on the Special or Special Pages list under views.

ah ok, that works for me too Paul. Nice spotting. but still no search box in the actual NAV or anything that actually says search...

Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 484 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 5:35 PM
I, too, do not see anything search related in the left-hand nav bar. I wonder if the difference is because you (David) and Jeremy are Bureaucrats and Sysops, while the rest of us are just editors. Just checked with Anand (who's also a Bureaucrat and Sysop) and he has it between Categories and Toolbox. I have Categories, Personal Tools, Views, and then Toolbox. So the interface seems to be different.

Cheers,
Jim

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 485 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 7:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
Ahh looks like I was wrong! There's a 1000th time for everything. :) We are having caching issues as well, so we assumed that was the problem.

Nice catch Jim. We're hiding the "editor search" for readers, but it looks like we're hiding it for editors as well... I'll see if we can get it fixed tomorrow morning, or we'll bump up your access levels.

Sorry about that. --JP

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 486 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/17/2008 7:39 PM
I kept wondering why my awesome fellow Fool editors, who are so outperforming my own meager Wiki efforts, aren't getting the same tools I am. It's like giving your pinch-hitter down the bench the best bat!

Sounds good. --David

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 487 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/18/2008 7:50 PM
Hey Fools -- the fix is in and working on our test server. We're pushing a release to the live site Wednesday night around 7pm ET. Sorry about the delay.

Jeremy

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 488 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/19/2008 9:24 PM
Editor search should now appear on your left-navigation area. Please let me know if it doesn't show up on yours. I'll post soon about why we have two searches, one for editors and one for regular readers.

Thanks very much for your patience!

Jeremy

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 489 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/20/2008 12:44 AM
I cna;t get to the wiki at all get this error

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "Database::getSlavePos". MySQL returned error "1227: Access denied; you need the SUPER,REPLICATION CLIENT privilege for this operation (10.10.13.123)".

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 490 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/20/2008 3:21 PM
Got it and I see the search box in the upper left of the NAV. Thanks Jeremy

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 491 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/20/2008 3:22 PM
oh wait that's weird, now the wiki won't load again....

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 492 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/20/2008 6:01 PM
and now it does again hurray!

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 493 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/20/2008 8:40 PM
Sorry about that Tastylunch. We were doing some unexpected server-switcharoos. The wiki is running on a different type of server than the rest of our site so our rockstar developers are still figuring everything out.

It'll settle down soon, I promise!

Jeremy

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 494 of 597
Subject: Re: Search is now missing Date: 11/20/2008 10:24 PM
Recommendations: 2
not a problem Jeremy, just giving you feedback like you asked.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement