UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Seasonal Treasury Yield fluctuations Date: 12/28/2009 11:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
The 10 Year Treasury yield has been popping since the beginning of December (about a month). It's almost up to the yield in July 2009.

http://stockcharts.com/charts/gallery.html?$TNX

The 10 Year Treasury yield fluctuates seasonally. It's usually highest in midyear, due to increased demand for mortgages during the spring home buying season. It's usually lower during the winter.

I analyzed the 10 Year Treasury yield to determine whether that rule of thumb holds, and if so, by how much.

To do any analysis, I needed a nice, consistent data set. I didn't want perturbations by financial crises.

The following chart shows two different periods with a nice, even fluctuation around a linear trend during reasonably calm economic times and steady inflation. One is the period from 1987 to 2002, when the yield declined. The other is the period from 2003 to 2007, when the yield trend increased.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/GS10

These were obviously different situations, so I analyzed them separately. I removed the data from Feb. 1993 to Jan. 1994, because the yields were unusually low (the first year of the Clinton presidency).

The 1987-2002 trend's R-squared was 0.86, quite strong. The 2003-2007 trend's R-squared was only 0.47, but still worth looking at.

I analyzed the monthly deviation from the trend line.

Result: As expected, May - July averaged yields above the trend. December averaged yields below the trend.

Average deviation from trend

1987 to 2002 2003 to 07
January -0.13 -0.06
February -0.15 -0.10
March 0.02 -0.12
April 0.02 0.04
May 0.14 0.02
June 0.02 0.00
July -0.03 0.08
August -0.04 0.03
September -0.08 -0.13
October -0.12 -0.09
November -0.15 -0.17
December -0.18 -0.22

The increase in the 10 Y Treasury yield in December 2009 is atypical and contrary to the normal trend.

I think this is happening because the Federal Reserve ended its Treasury purchase program (October 2009) and has announced that it will stop buying mortgage backed securities in March 2010 -- a market that correlates and competes with the 10 Y Treasury. Also, this may be a reaction to China's stated intent that they can't increase their buying proportionally to the government's issuance of Treasuries.

As a result, I sold my Ginnie Mae funds. I plan to hold my TIPS to maturity, because I think the market is drastically underestimating the risk of inflation in the medium to long term.

Wendy (cross-posted on the METAR Board)

P.S. e-mail me if you want to see the spreadsheets.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement