Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5056  
Subject: Re: What does your retirement lifestyle look lik Date: 7/10/2005 4:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Seattle,

I think you make a good point about not ever having traded up begin with.

I'm willing to guess that most people who retire early (say, anytime before 65), never really traded up either.

Although I've been frugal most of my life, I think of my life as somewhat "traded up" now, only because I still have a child at home, live in an expensive area and pay lots of taxes.

Arguably, some of this could have been avoided (don't tell my daughter! LOL), but also it was the expensive area that provided us with earning opportunities we definitely could not have found elsewhere -and of course, high taxes are part and parcel of a high income.

Two income households also tend to spend more on eating out and paying for time consuming maintenance activities (although this can be managed).

My thinking is that when we leave our current jobs, this area and our daughter is an adult - we will be in a much better position to scale back expenses.

I wouldn't classify most of my co-workers as profligate spenders, but they do seem to enjoy luxury vehicles and larger homes more than I would.

In that case, it occurred to me that they might need to replace their current income in retirement in order to maintain that lifestyle.

When I half-joked about being happy to retire to a double-wide down by the river, I was met with the telltale nervous giggles.

No matter, my other co-worker joked that as long as he could afford a trailer near a toxic waste dump, he'd be happy. LOL

MG

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement