Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Print the post Back To Top
My money was on IBM but the change in CEO's reduced the likelihood of that one. It seems like a decent offer. Siebel's cash reduces the actual amount paid for the company itself but future growth prospects were limited.

As a former Siebel employee I wish all of them well and hope their value isn't underestimated by Oracle. As a current Siebel customer I'm a little concerned but like what the spin-machine has to say thus far.

Blitzen94
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am a Siebel consultant, have been implementing Siebel since 1997. From a customer perspective it really leaves Oracle or SAP as options for full enterprise CRM. Salesforce and Microsoft just aren't there in terms of breadth of functionality.

Now, for companies that use SAP back office ERP, which are primariy product companies, they may make the jump to SAP CRM if they are not already there. But for all other companies, especially financial services, the only real option is now Oracle/Peoplesoft/Siebel. Lets just hope the execute the business and software consolidation with some competence. Siebel by far has the most robust software and customer base, so I suppose it makes sense to use it as a baseline for the new product. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the release of Siebel 8 and Nexus.

Frank
"Siebel shareholders will receive $10.66 per share in cash unless they elect to be given Oracle common stock -- but no more than 30 percent of Siebel's common shares will be exchanged for Oracle stock. The companies expect the deal to close early next year.

Maybe someone can answer my two biggest questions. Is Oracle stock a good prospect for major growth? And........ is that 30% the maximum for each person, or is that 30% for the entire deal. In other words, if alot of people took all cash could I get all ORCL stock for my 250 SEBL shares?

I figure I'm way in the hole at this point so if Oracle stock has good growth prospects the only chance I have to climb back out is by getting 100% ORCL stock and hope it goes up. What do you think?
I'm in the same boat. I'll be down about 65% even with a sale at $10.66. I'm really wondering if Oracle could be a good long-term play here. It seems pretty cheap at today's prices. I think its all going to come down to execution of the mergers and if you have the patience to wait for the results.

I'm not betting on SAP, Microsoft or Salesforce.
Sparksa,

So do you think there's any way I (we) can get ALL Oracle stock instead of part or all cash?
This company single handedly disproved the Gorilla theory.
I disagree that one comapany can either prove or disprove the GG theory. But I agree that SEBL was clearly not a Gorilla. What this does prove is that Oracle, the annointed gorilla of database software turned out to be a player in CRM as well. My guess is that this is part of a bigger game with players like SAP, but I do not follow the space closely enough to speak with authority.

I'd be interested in Mike Buckley's POV on this. He followed the front office game for years and is probably the best informed poster on SEBL I have ever read. Haven't seen him at the fool in a while. Mike?

MF
SEBL was considered one of the prima facie gorillas as early as 1999 and no followers of the theory disputed it. SEBL was traded at $130 then. It is so over.
Advertisement