Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Because the state of MI's Section 529 plan is so disappointing, as a resident of MI, I am considering T.Rowe Price's National College Savings Plan (also a 529). If I go this route, however, I will give up being able to deduct my contributions from my state income tax -- and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

2 Questions:

1) Will the earnings in the TRowe plan also be state-exempt, as they are for me with the MI plan?

2) Since in 2002, rollovers to other state plans are permitted once per year without beneficiary changes, would I still be eligible for a state of MI deduction if I contributed to the TRowe plan over time, and then rolled it into MI's plan a year before I start making withdrawals?

Any help is appreciated!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.