UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AlejandroCCS Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17881  
Subject: Re: Totaled by Drunk Driver Date: 10/9/2004 2:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
SecrtAgent,

"There are several important issues here, that can be improved in your favor."

I already sent the title, which was received on 10-4-04 --according to the certified mail tracking information. The adjuster had already sent the paperwork explaining the amount to be reimbursed, $6250 for a 1998 Honda Civic. At least that's what he claimed.

However, he is located in NJ as well and I have not received anything in more than a week --my title took three days to be delivered. I talked with him on Thursday and he said he had mailed the check out on Tuesday 10-5-04...

Needless to say, I'm not happy. I am expecting that check to be in the mail Monday when I come back from work.

I made a HUGE mistake: I TRUSTED THEM. I am bitterly learning not to trust anyone!

I would like to know, in spite of all this, what are the issues that could have been improved, for future reference. If you don't mind sharing them with me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

-------

Joel,

Thanks for your message! I am not sure what the difference between No-fault and At-fault insurance law is. I will certainly look into getting the most out of my insurance. They have offered to pay 60% of my lost wages, 80% of my medical bills. They just sent me a bunch of forms to review and fill out and haven't had a chance to go through all of them.

Frankly, this experience has proven to be a bit overwhelming. Too much information to handle at once (insurance, doctor and hospital forms everywhere you look), on top of catching up with all the work that piled up at my desk during my absence.

As of today, I feel no more pain. I went back to the emergency room on 10-5-04 to have x-rays done, and they came out great. No injuries shown. Thank God. I will however seek an MRI to rule out the possibility of a discal hernia and any other hidden injuries. Even though I feel no more pain, I want to have the peace of mind that everything is fine.

-------

All,

I took a plane to Miami to pick up another car that I have, and drove back to New Jersey. I feel someone should cover the expense for this trip... who should I target? The other driver's insurance? Geico told me they will reimburse me for the totaled car and it would be up to me to decide how I replaced it.

This whole experience has been aggravating as you can imagine. I consulted a lawyer regarding the possibility of geting pain and suffering compensation. He told me I would need at least a discal hernia to have a case in court. I don't think I have a hernia, and I really hope I don't, so I'm thinking about demanding some kind of compensation, as well as the reimbursement of all my deductibles, from the other driver's ins. company. Any suggestions on how to go about this effectively?

Thank you all for your time and support! You have all been great help :-)

Alex
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement