UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Hi gang... wow!!! Date: 9/15/2013 11:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
See post #72810

I confess I didn't understand a lot of that post, but it didn't really show how the two strategies compare. Where are the actual calculations?

In that post you write
Example;
If S&P ‘all-in’ average return, with dividends, is 14%
S&P max drawdown is 53%

= 14% (1 – 53%)
= 14% (47%)
= 6.58%

This seems wrong. The average 14% return includes the drawdowns. You are counting them twice. Further by subtracting 53% of the returns from the annual average return, you are assuming the 53% drawdown happens every year.

If Account #A has a risk of 50%+ drawdowns, then it's risk-adjusted returns are its gross returns times 1-drawdown. At a 50% drawdown, the risk-adjusted returns are 50% of the gross returns. At a 25% drawdown the risk-adjusted returns are 75% of the gross returns.

This makes the same mistake. The drawdowns only happen occasionally. Averaged over many people, you get the 14% despite the drawdowns. Some will be unlucky and get less, others will be lucky and get more.

I still don't see a clear argument for why IULs beat S&P.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement