UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741515  
Subject: Re: Liberal myths dispelled Date: 11/15/2012 11:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
See, the thing is, if I'm wrong, nothing happens (according to you). Indeed, if I'm wrong, wonderfulness nonetheless breaks out. I've got nothing to lose if I'm wrong AND nothing to lose and everything to gain if I'm right.

But if I'm right and you're wrong--OOPS! Eternity is an awfully long time to contemplate being wrong. It's kinda like the "heads I win, tails you lose" gamble of life.

Imagine a deity great enough to create a Universe based upon knowable and discoverable set of logical rules. A Universe that runs for billions of years without direct "personal" intervention.

Imagine a deity great enough to create a system of rule whereby life can spawn spontaneously and evolve to the point of developing consciousness, freewill, and empathy.

I do not understand how anyone capable of believing such a powerful, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent deity could exist AND require obeisance from the beings it has spawned on penalty of eternal torture.

I mean, I am no where near as powerful as that and if people in my neighborhood do not think I'm a great guy, I do not wish eternal damnation upon them. I care even less about what sub-Saharan tribal Africans might think of me.

According to you, this particular powerful deity condemns those who have not even heard of him to unimaginable tortures for all eternity simply because they haven't had the opportunity to even decide about him. What kind of sadistic, brutal, spiteful deity are you worshiping?

I personally can't reconcile the properties of a deity powerful enough to setup this Universe with a being as petty as some Christians think he might be. I just can't imagine the powerful God mentioned above caring one whit about the personal beliefs of one of the beings he gave free will too.

I wouldn't care and God is supposed to be far more compassionate and loving than me.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement