Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Through an alignment of planets not realted to the holidays, I have one of these coming my way with zero out-of-pocket on my part.

http://www.barbecuegrillsandmore.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=MST1014&refid=BR248-MST1014#ProdDetails

As a grilling amatuer (steaks, chops, beer can chicken, etc.) I'm excited at the prospect of doing ribs properly. What do you think of this thing? Is it great, not too bad, lousy, fantastic? Whats' good about it and what's going to be lacking?

You can't hurt my feelings with you assesment; it's a freebee.

Thanks.

6Spd
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Since it's not costing you anything, I think it is great.

The description says it grills and smokes and steams and fries.

Aside from Swiss Army knives and Leathermans, most things that try to multi-task usually do a crappy job of some of the chores.

Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.

You certainly have nothing to lose.

bigpix
No. of Recommendations: 6
As a grilling amatuer (steaks, chops, beer can chicken, etc.) I'm excited at the prospect of doing ribs properly. What do you think of this thing? Is it great, not too bad, lousy, fantastic? Whats' good about it and what's going to be lacking?

Not having seen it, one cannot say.

Having said that, I can say this....

Just about anything that can contain fire and meat can be made to do a good job if you know what it takes to do a good job.

That said, do you know what it takes to do a good job with ribs?

If you do, then it's just a matter of making your cooker do what needs doin'.

If you don't, well, you've come to the right place.

sano

- who knocked one out of the ballpark on friday.... succcccccculent baby backs, low and slow, down and dirty, babay!!
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey 6Spd,

You can't hurt my feelings with you assesment; it's a freebee

All I can say is I'm jealous, y'all gots a helluva a deal, and y'all really ain't gonna know what short-comin's this thang "may" have until y'all gets it setup and werkin'.

The only thang I can think of that might "turn me off" 'bout this smoker is if'n I couldn't choose to use charcoal insteada g@s. Howsumever, if'n this thang is built right so's y'all can chooses yer own fuel, then it's a fine fryer/griller/smoker/thingamabobber and y'all should be happy y'all has one.

So, fer now, have fun playin' with it! But please come back and let us know what y'all thinks of it after a coupla cookin' sessions.

ßillƒ
Just about anything that can contain fire and meat can be made to do a good job if you know what it takes to do a good job.

Danm sano!! Them's sum purty potent werds there son!! Would y'all allows me to swipe them werds and add 'em to my web site??

Back 'round early '92 I setup camp early in The Zoo durin' the 12 Hours of Sebring (...week-long event fer me...) and brought sum cinder blocks fer buildin' a pit. Now, this wuz long 'for'n I ever knew what Real BBQ wuz all about, mind ya, but I did at least know how to grill stuff in them days, me.

Now, I did not truly BBQ anything that week, 'cause I didn't know how then, but I did grill a LOT of stuff over that pit and everythin' disappeared 'cause it wuz eat worthy.

Worth repeatin'.

ßillƒ
No. of Recommendations: 2

Grilling is OK! Grilling is fine!

Steaks, chops, burgers! Ribs now thats another matter! Slow and low for those thangs! Pork shoulders (pork butts), brisket, lottsa fat that needs to render out. Grilling for those, a big NO WAY MAN!

Along wif' da' chicken!

If you want to BBQ, slow and low, Slow time wise, Low temp wise, I think you are wasting your money!

Honest talk here! Sorry if it hurts!

What do you want to do? Grill or Q?

ez3
Danm sano!! Them's sum purty potent werds there son!! Would y'all allows me to swipe them werds and add 'em to my web site??

Back 'round early '92 I setup camp early in The Zoo.......

Why thank yuh, Billyboy...t'aint exackly original thought, since man has been shoving meat into a hole in the ground with fire for a long long time.... my island family still digs holes they fill with fire and wild pigs ....

... one of the most memorable steaks I have in muh way back machine we toted down the baja in a ice chest.... way down, a little bay called laguna manuela, we found an abandoned chunk of grill - we collected mesquite branches along the way, and made a ring of rocks at the beach after a long days fishin and surfin.... we grilled a halibut we caught, and them steaks over the mesquite on that old chunk of grill on rocks...
left the grill on the rocks for the next camper along that lonely section of coast.

But yeah, if someone sent me a free smoker, I'd figger a way to make it crank out something good, even if it meant pullin out muh sawzall, grinders and drill bits.
- who knocked one out of the ballpark on friday.... succcccccculent baby backs, low and slow, down and dirty, babay!!

OK, I'll admit to being one of the one's who needs help in learning how to do a good job with this one.

I do have a nice big grill with a thermometer in the lid (love that, never had that before!)

Any tips, recipes to share?

I loves me some delicious ribs, baby back or otherwise

All I know is that I want to cook them for a long time at low temp (and the thermometer will allow me to monitor that *grin*)

would love advice :)

thanks
No. of Recommendations: 4
Any tips, recipes to share? I loves me some delicious ribs, baby back or otherwise

Try this:

Mix up a bunch of spoonfuls of granulated garlic, pepper, cumin, california chili powder, kosher salt into a shaker, then shake it all over both sides of the ribs.

I got a bad habit of burning up greasy stuff when it goes straight on the grill, so I got one of those horizontal rib racks that holds 4 full slabs. Put the slabs in the rack, and put the rack over a big grease catchin' pan. Put that pan on the BBQ grill so there's less chance of flarin' up, but the slabs is still fully exposed to the smoke.

In da BBQ you got yer wood smokin' away, so when the ribs go into the q, they get a good 2 or 3 hours of steady smokin', but the temp on the lid has to stay low, bout 250, the whole time. Doesn't mattter if it's gas or coal, as long as that temp stays low, and the smoke is good and steady.

...after about 3 hours of dry indirect smokin' low heat, I take the ribs out of the rack, put foil on the pan, put the ribs on the foil, pour some apple juice on 'em, fold the foil completely over them, and then back into the BBQ for a final hour of steamy cookin'. The juice gives it a little sweetness, and the steamin' makes 'em fall off the bone tender.

Total time is about 4 hours for the 4 racks of baby backs.

** I'm partial to the vinegarrry sauce, so I takes a cup of baby rays for a base, add a cup of cider vinegar, half a cup of water, bump it up with black pepper and cayenne to 'bout 6 on the richter scale. Stir it up in a tin can and put it in the BBQ while it's smokin' for a hour.
Why thank yuh, Billyboy...

Yer welcome...I stuck it right on the front page...

www.bbqfools.com

ßillƒ
Why thank yuh, Billyboy...
Yer welcome...I stuck it right on the front page...

Garsh...

Dangit, Billybooy, you best get over here and water all them folks kneelin' in muh driveway afore they heatstroke... or maybe I can just tell 'em i heard chez say it an' i just repeated it... yeah, that's the ticket...

heads up, chez, here they come...
Hey DBAVelvet,

sano gave you the actual run-down, but it's called the 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 Method...

www.bbqfools.com/Pork.php

Keep the temps in the 225º to 250º range.

Plenty of different rubs and sauces to try...Pick ones y'all'll enjoy the taste of and go fer it.

ßillƒ
Garsh...

Dangit, Billybooy, you best get over here and water all them folks kneelin' in muh driveway afore they heatstroke...

LOL! If'n y'all gits famous that fast from my web site, I wants a cut of the action! <bg>

ßillƒ
granulated garlic

Is that garlic poweder, or is it more like dried. minced garlic?

thanks for the info :)
No. of Recommendations: 2
http://www.spicebarn.com/granulated_garlic.htm

we buy the big containers and use in copious quantities for everything from salad dressings to rubs, sprtizing on veggies, soups....

most everything I grill gets hit with, at a minimum, kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper and granulated garlic...

gotta have ajo granulado in the house! lots of it!

sano
i use lots of garlic, too ... always got a couple bulbs of fresh garlic on hand. it's a bit expensive around here ... mebbe about $1/bulb ... is it cheaper in california? how far are you from gilroy?
Seeing as how I'm at the beach in the south end of the state, and my sister lives in the bay area, I pass through gilroy quite a bit... but we got a lot of local markets that specialize in Mexican foods now, so they got garlic in every shape and form, dirt cheap.

The granulated garlic, though, we just get at smart and final by the pound.

I actually grow garlic now and then if I have an idle planter and a neglected head starts getting green on me. Break it up, shove it in the dirt, and forget it until it's garlic.
i use lots of garlic, too ... always got a couple bulbs of fresh garlic on hand. it's a bit expensive around here ... mebbe about $1/bulb ... is it cheaper in california? how far are you from gilroy?

Me, too. I buy the big containers of McCormick's granulated garlic that I use liberally for all kinds of stuff. But, I also always have a bulb or two of garlic on the counter top. Also, keep minced garlic in the fridge for stuff like adding to a pot of beans, etc.

Garlic prices in the central valley CA have been pretty much the same for many years - 2 or 3 bulbs for $1. Gilroy is about 2 hr drive from Sacramento if you don't go through any freeway parking lots.

OleDoc
Advertisement