UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744863  
Subject: Seemed a bit light! Date: 2/1/2013 3:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I recently did my taxes... seems that I managed to make less in 2012 than in 2011, despite getting a raise. How did that happen? I two things contributed to it:

1. The University changed how much I paid as a percentage into my healthcare (they're did it University wide based upon pay grades, those at the bottom didn't have any adjustments, those higher up did, lucky me!)

2. There was one fewer home football game. Since football is the only OT I get one game less means one less bump to my pay.

This year would have been a really big year... but the Winter Classic was cancelled (it would have been nice to get that paycheck boost this month!) and with the payroll tax going back up I'll probably end up making even less this year (by a few hundred bucks).

Could be worse, sure... but not really the direction I want to be heading all the same. Bummer. I'll have to eat out less, getting a new laptop is probably not in the cards and I'll have to work on these debts I'm paying off, getting rid of one of them would be great.

I did save some money today. My co-worker insists on eating out on Fridays for lunch, I generally try to pick the cheapest place possible (we eat Subway a lot) but today in my e-mail I got a Buy One, Get One entree coupon. I talked her into going there, didn't tell her about the coupon and made sure I got something cheaper than what she ordered. Hey, free lunch! I figure I'm the one who had to go out into the cold to get it (and who does that every time), so it's justified. It isn't like she paid more... I just paid less.

I may have to pull an Art and take care of the squirrels that keep running by my office window. My co-worker feeds them. Just fattening them up until one day they'll get the noose and skillet treatment!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669745 of 744863
Subject: Re: Seemed a bit light! Date: 2/1/2013 3:31 PM
Recommendations: 3
"I did save some money today. My co-worker insists on eating out on Fridays for lunch, I generally try to pick the cheapest place possible (we eat Subway a lot) but today in my e-mail I got a Buy One, Get One entree coupon. I talked her into going there, didn't tell her about the coupon and made sure I got something cheaper than what she ordered. Hey, free lunch! I figure I'm the one who had to go out into the cold to get it (and who does that every time), so it's justified. It isn't like she paid more... I just paid less." - colovion

-----------------------

People used to make fun of me at the UT Vet School for bringing leftovers in tupperware every day for lunch. Whatever I ate the night before I'd just bring it to lunch and microwave it and eat it for lunch. Over 17 years I bet I saved thousands of dollars. I also had $220/month taken out of my check and put into a 403B account so that when I was laid off I had $250,000 in my 403B account. That is why when I was laid off I wasn't completely terrified.

I was used to living on less and being frugal so I knew I would be okay.

Art

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669780 of 744863
Subject: Re: Seemed a bit light! Date: 2/1/2013 6:18 PM
Recommendations: 2
I may have to pull an Art and take care of the squirrels that keep running by my office window. My co-worker feeds them. Just fattening them up until one day they'll get the noose and skillet treatment.
COlovion

>>>>>>>>

saute them with onions and have some squirrel tacos :)

save the tails and make hats with them.

LD

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669839 of 744863
Subject: Re: Seemed a bit light! Date: 2/2/2013 11:08 AM
Recommendations: 1
People used to make fun of me at the UT Vet School for bringing leftovers in tupperware every day for lunch. Whatever I ate the night before I'd just bring it to lunch and microwave it and eat it for lunch. Over 17 years I bet I saved thousands of dollars. I also had $220/month taken out of my check and put into a 403B account so that when I was laid off I had $250,000 in my 403B account. That is why when I was laid off I wasn't completely terrified.

I tend to eat the cheapest microwave meals at work, those $0.88 Michellinas meals. Not a ton of food, but enough to get me to the end of the work day. That and a can of some drink (usually iced tea) bought in bulk means even if I only spend $5 for a sub on Friday it still costs about as much as my lunch the rest if the week.

The problem is that sometimes I get stuck out of the office at lunch (such as a 3-hour round trip to the Lansing crime lab or if I'm out doing bikes). Then I usually hit Subway, especially if I'm getting bikes (it's a lot of cutting, lifting and hauling, builds up an appetite quickly!)

It's VERY easy to spend a lot on food in this town. But it's possible to avoid those traps too.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669853 of 744863
Subject: Re: Seemed a bit light! Date: 2/2/2013 12:27 PM
Recommendations: 4
"I tend to eat the cheapest microwave meals at work, those $0.88 Michellinas meals. Not a ton of food, but enough to get me to the end of the work day. That and a can of some drink (usually iced tea) bought in bulk means even if I only spend $5 for a sub on Friday it still costs about as much as my lunch the rest if the week." - colovion
-------------

I never made more than $28,200/year in my life. When I started at the Univ. of TN Vet School my salary was $13,780/year. I was just never very good at making money - but I was fairly decent at saving it. I did okay on the investing part of it too.

I used to work in restaurants in high school and I learned how to cook early in life. So I I cook like I'm cooking for 30 people so there are usually a lot of leftovers. I took those leftovers for lunch everyday. It seemed wasteful not to.

One time my boss walked by me eating up in the Yum Yum shop and he said "there's enough food there for three people." I hated that. I felt like it was none of his damn business. My other boss, a German woman, one time made a comment about how my food smelled - I had made something with a lot of garlic in it.

One of my good friends bought his lunch everyday and he and his wife and kids went out to eat like 4X a week. I begged him to start putting money in a 401K or a 403B account but he refused. He said to me "Art you don't have kids so you don't understand. There isn't any extra money. The school is constantly asking for money and if I have an extra $50.00 one of my kids needs shoes or a new pair of pants. You just don't understand!" And that was the end of that.

I doubt he has any savings at all now. He'll get a pension from University of Tennessee and social security and that will be it. I get a check from my IRA and one from TCRS (state pension) and I'll get social security so I'll have three checks being automatically deposited into my checking account in two years. I'll actually be bringing home more take home than what I was making when I left Univ. of TN.

By the way - we are having some weather. Snow & ice yesterday and today. I ain't going nowhere. Great way to save money.

Art

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669865 of 744863
Subject: Re: Seemed a bit light! Date: 2/2/2013 1:07 PM
Recommendations: 7
I never made more than $28,200/year in my life. When I started at the Univ. of TN Vet School my salary was $13,780/year. I was just never very good at making money - but I was fairly decent at saving it. I did okay on the investing part of it too.

I didn't have the maturity until later on in life. My parents are both products of the Depression and avoided debt like the plague. The only thing they ever borrowed for was their house. Save, save, save.

Of course, being a young know-it-all I considered such behavior uncool and old-fashioned, so I didn't do it. I lived paycheck-to-paycheck with nary a thought as to the future.

During my Navy career I met quite a few guys who took the opposite tack. One guy in particular was raised in foster homes. He knew that he had no Plan B. He saved like there was no tomorrow. He didn't mind sea duty and went from sub to sub, saving as he went.

One day, this guy with eight years in (or so) told me that he had over $200,000 socked away. Of course, it wasn't merely in a savings account. He invested it. He got my attention, but I wasn't ready to modify my mindset yet.

I also met this Chief Petty Officer who had over $700,000 socked away. Same thing - worked, saved, invested.

My awakening came when I retired. I had a bunch of other things going on unrelated to money, but I had to look myself in the mirror. I had nothing, except for my retirement check and a kid to feed. I had to grow up.

When I think back at all of the money that slipped between my fingers I could kick myself.

One of my HS shop teachers had a plaque over his desk: "We get too soon old and too late smart." Guilty as charged.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669866 of 744863
Subject: Re: Seemed a bit light! Date: 2/2/2013 1:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
I didn't have the maturity until later on in life. My parents are both products of the Depression and avoided debt like the plague. The only thing they ever borrowed for was their house. Save, save, save.

Post-modern liberal version:

I think maturity is overrated. My parents are both products of the The New Deal and the Great Society and ran up debt like the plague. The only thing they never borrowed for was their toothpaste. Spend, spend, spend. And it wasn't even their own money. No reason to save, Sugar Daddy dems gonna make sure I retire and am taken care of. Work is so 50's.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement