Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 212531  
Subject: Re: 5 stars to Chanos who bashed hpq Date: 11/21/2012 4:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Seems a little harsh. After all the only thing Meg Whitman is guilty of is being a party to making an investment that, for whatever, reason, hasn't worked out. And, how many "investors" have not been in those shoes? No me, in all probability not you, and not Warren Buffett.

Is Whitman's culpability that much greater than Buffett's re: Sokol? After all, Buffett knew Sokol was pitching him a company whose shares he had loaded up on; but, Buffett didn't bother to ask for specifics.

I think the two episodes are pretty dramatically different. In the one case, you have a borderline unethical move by an important, competent collaborator (Sokol), whom Buffett was understandably loath to abandon, given how much value he has brought to Berkshire throughout his career. While Buffett was probably guilty, in retrospect, of not asking that extra important question (how long have you owned those shares, Dave?), he presumed the innocence of a guy who had always deserved the benefit of the doubt up till then. And the particular Lubrizol deal, worth about a twentieth of Berkshire's market cap, seems to be working out for shareholders exactly as Sokol had suggested it would.

On the other hand, you have a CEO (Apotheker) who was in the process of being dumped by the board for some spectacularly bad decisions, and who has just arrived with a fairly transformational investment involving huge sums of money, almost a fifth of the market cap. The board's most important job is capital allocation, and here you have a board member (Whitman), taking over the company because she is supposedly a software executive, and she and the rest of her board don't seem to have done even the most cursory due diligence as to whether the Autonomy deal was a good one for HP, but signed off on it anyways. Only a year later, it looks like 9 of those 10 billion dollars (if not more) were just flushed down the toilet.

If you make Buffett resign for what I see as a fairly minor error, with almost no negative consequence for shareholders, then every CEO in the world will have to resign. If you DON'T make Whitman resign for this major blunder, with its serious consequences for shareholders, then all CEO's might as well keep their huge salaries with no questions asked, no matter how bad their performance, unless they have engaged in outright criminal behaviour perhaps (or of course inappropriate sexual conduct - just kidding). I bet 95% of Berkshire shareholders want Buffett to stay, despite Lubrizol, whereas most HP shareholder would likely be glad to be rid of Whitman, at least I would if I owned shares.

Regards, DTM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement