Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFVenus Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11198  
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/13/2009 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Selena writes:

I really can't disagree too much. :)

As much as I might want to think there are no differences, or that there just shouldn't be, there just are. Women are in different situations (in general) -- earning less, over fewer years and living longer than men, for example, and women (again, in general) seem to interact differently with investing -- taking less risk, trading less frequently, worrying more, being less confident, etc.

So -- I concede! :)

Oh, Selena, you've mellowed!!!

Even though I've spent the last 14 years writing about personal finance and investing, I still find the subject intimidating. (As the saying goes, the more I know, the more I know how much I don't know.) You can master investing to some degree...but what about investing for retirement, and portfolio allocation, and fixed income? And if you master that, there's estate planning, which is a whole other world of information that needs to be learned.

Ironically, although 11 years ago, I was fighting that men and women were different, now, I'm not so sure. I think it's more a personality thing. After all, look how many women have excelled in this so-called man's world. And men are entering professions that in the past have been more traditionally female. Male nurses, for example, are increasing each year. Male teachers hit an all-time low in 2001, and have been slowly increasing. And I just came across an article that said that in 2006, men accounted for only 38 percent of all bachelor degrees in Maine. (So I assume that the other 62 percent were earned by women, unless there's a group of "others" who I don't know about.)

Throughout the years, I've gravitated to the "men's" groups at parties, mainly because they were the ones primarily talking about the market and the economy. But for each of those men, there were many men who wouldn't go near those groups, and were, instead, talking about the environment and saving the planet and spiritual enlightenment. (Then again, I spend the summers in Woodstock, so it's quite a different crowd then the men I bump into on the tennis courts in Florida.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what's true, but I think it's funny that we've both changed the way we think. We've opened our minds. Or, perhaps we've simply "matured."

Barbara
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement