Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Self assessment and fitness tracking/dietary analysis are both tried and tested methods of enhancing behaviour change. I was intoduced to the concept back in dental school (early 1970s) .... and continued with something similar in my practice and with my fitness clients.

The difficulty with weight management for some folk is that trying to use nutritional data (such as is available outside of a fancy lab) to accurately count calorie intake...as opposed to getting a heads-up on mindless eating....is that what you see isn't necessarily what you get.

I'm not talking about individual variation of how different macros are metabolised once they pass a person's lips but variation in energy content of what's on the plate. Calorie counts can have as much as 10% wiggle room. For instance, just pulled a can of beans from my pantry. Serving size half a cup, 125 gms. 100 Cals. You could be as meticulous as humanly possible.... slicing a bean in half to make exactly 125 gms, say.....and still not have exactly 100 Cals worth of beans. It might be 90..... but might also be 110. Just a few hundred extra Cals a day is enough for steady weight gain over the long haul. Add in an even greater difficulty in tracking daily energy expenditure outside of, say, an hour's training session (how many non exercise steps did you take yesterday... I did 18,247)

No one in the field of bariatrics would dispute the fundamental basis of Cal's in vs. Cals out....but wouldn't likely call it a simple concept either once you get into the details
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement