UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: beagmaster Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75890  
Subject: Self directed 401k! Date: 1/18/1998 4:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have what I suspect to be a pretty normal 401k plan through work. I was amazed to find out that under my plan, a participant may segregate his money or some portion thereof out of the group plan and direct his own trades, subject of course to all the regular 401k restrictions on distributions etc. There is a $300 set up fee for the segregated account; trades are effected through a discount broker at a flat rate of 10 cents per share. This option is not mentioned anywhere in the summary plan description; they never would have told me about it if I hadn't asked. I'm sure it increases costs and decreases fees to the firm through which we have the plan, which provides its own mutual funds as the standard investment options. I don't know how standard this is; I have one boss who is an active investor and he may have required that this be a special feature of our plan. In any event, ask the question, Fools. you may like the answer, and they probably won't tell you if you don't ask.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1369 of 75890
Subject: Re: Self directed 401k! Date: 1/18/1998 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Beagmaster, and welcome.

<<I don't know how standard this is; I have one boss who is an active investor and he may have required that this be a special feature of our plan. In any event, ask the question, Fools. you may like the answer, and they probably won't tell you if you don't ask.>>

It's relatively rare in employer plans, so count your blessings. However, it reemphasizes the importance to all of knowing what their plans do provide.

Regards.....Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement