UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bottomfeeder106 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75379  
Subject: Self-Directed 401K Date: 7/9/2002 7:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm interested to know how those of you who have experience with fully self-directed 401k plans (those that allow individual secutiry investments, not exclusively in mutual funds), feel about them.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34802 of 75379
Subject: Re: Self-Directed 401K Date: 7/9/2002 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't have one, but previous posters have indicated they often have high transaction costs. So develop a strategy to minimize those expenses. Otherwise, its a matter of choosing good investments.

Author: kuvholt2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34806 of 75379
Subject: Re: Self-Directed 401K Date: 7/9/2002 5:35 PM
Recommendations: 2
The 401k at my place of business has a self directed option, but you have to have over 10,000$ before you can start, and only 30-50% of your total assets can be self directed (I forget the figure). Also their trade comission rates are very high compared to what I'm used to looking at (ex: 25$ for a trade plus .03$ per share). I have not used it as I have less than the minimum funds (I am 22 and have been an employee for less than a year).
From talking to others who use it it is great. I would ask your 401k plan administrator what the details of the plan are. The fees and restrictions would vary widely between employeers.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement